Software Engineering Manager/Tech Lead
Boston Globe Media Partners is looking for a software engineering manager / tech lead to manage its back-end platform team. As part of this role the candidate will lead a small team of backend software engineers that support various business initiatives that include the CMS systems that power BostonGlobe.com & Boston.com as well as the ecommerce systems that support the sites. This team is responsible for facilitating the data flow between business critical systems and applications.
We are an agile team, so you will be working closely with Product and the other Engineering teams to iterate on roadmap features that are being developed in two week sprints. You will be both an individual contributor as well as responsible managing your team. You’ll participate in code reviews and help to establish coding standards and guidelines. You’ll represent the platform team in meetings with stakeholders across the organization as well as at bi-weekly sprint demos, meetups, conferences, and events. You’re highly organized and motivated to keep up to speed on the latest and greatest technologies.
- 5+ years working with Node.js, Java, Passenger and other back end frameworks
- Experience with mySQL, Oracle DBs, or Postges and building REST APIs to push / receive data
- Knowledge of server side scripting languages such as JSP, PHP or Groovy
- Knowledge of shell scripting such as Bash or Python.
- Knowledge of version control systems such as Git, SVN
- Knowledge of CI tools such as Jenkins and Docker
- Familiarity with the agile methodology of software development
- Experience with software development tools such as Jira
- Strong analytical and communication skills in a hybrid work environment
- The ability to lead and manage other software engineers.
- The ability to scope projects and deliver on time.
- Player coach mentality
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
- Knowledge of React and/or similar JS frameworks
- Familiarity with front-end build tools (Webpack, etc.)
- Experience spinning up services in VMWare and AWS
This position will start as a remote position but, following the office’s 2022 reopening plan, will be located in the Boston headquarters.
We require that all BGMP employees (including temporary employees, co-ops, interns, and independent contractors) be vaccinated from COVID-19, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise. All BGMP employees, regardless of vaccination status or work location, must provide proof of vaccination status as instructed by the employee's designated Human Resources contact. Employees may request a reasonable accommodation or other exemption from this policy by contacting their designated Human Resources contact. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.
Boston Globe Media Partners is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media Partners is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.