STAT - Newsletter Strategist
In November 2015, STAT was launched as a new national media brand focused on health, medicine, and life sciences. Since then, we have grown to be the authoritative and trustworthy news media source for tough-minded coverage of the business of making medicines, health tech, science, and public health. We produce daily news, investigative articles, and narrative projects in addition to multimedia features, podcasts, and opinion pieces. Our team of editors and reporters have won numerous journalism awards, including being named as a 2021 Pulitzer finalist. STAT is affiliated with Boston Globe Media Partners but is independent from The Boston Globe.
- STAT is seeking an enterprising and enthusiastic newsletter strategist and journalist to oversee its thriving line of newsletters. The strategist will work across our editorial, product, and business teams to grow and sharpen STAT's newsletter portfolio. This is an entrepreneurial role and a pivotal one for STAT — this person will be keen to come up with ambitious new ways to build up our readership, and to use newsletters to advance STAT's editorial and business goals.
- STAT’s headquarters is in downtown Boston. However, for this role, we will consider candidates who are based anywhere in the United States.
- The newsletter strategist will report to a senior editor, and will have frequent contact with the business and product teams, including the chief operating officer.
What You’ll Do
- Oversee STAT’s newsletter strategy, from soup to nuts. This will include working with newsletter writers and editors to regularly give feedback on copy, item selection, brainstorm new item formats, and more. It will also include bigger-picture strategic planning, such as examining STAT’s approach to email alerts, pitching and evaluating new newsletters, exploring opportunities to integrate STAT’s data tools into our portfolio, and streamlining newsletter offerings. Simply put, you’ll be in charge of keeping STAT’s newsletters sharp and of service to our readers.
- Collaborate across STAT on all things newsletters. This will include working with our data product manager to create tools for newsletter graphics; working with the product team on workflow needs and newsletter design; and teaming up with our engagement team to promote and share content from our newsletters on social platforms; and working with the analytics team to use data to inform editorial decision-making and bolster reader engagement.
- This role will also work closely with the business and product teams to ensure our newsletters engage existing readers, reach new audiences, and support the journalism of STAT’s premium subscription product, STAT+.
- Edit some of STAT’s daily and biweekly newsletters, alongside other STAT editors who are responsible for newsletter copy.
Who You Are
- A reporter or editor with at least five years of experience in journalism, including experience as a newsletter writer or editor. This role requires strong news judgment and a commitment to bedrock journalistic values.
- A creative and ambitious journalist. You should want to experiment with new formats and approaches to keep STAT’s newsletters fresh.
- A strategic thinker who places a premium on audience — you’ll help STAT think through who is reading our newsletters, who needs to be reading them, and what they need to know with each edition. You should have experience using data to drive editorial decisions.
- An excellent communicator. This position will require working closely with teams across the newsroom.
- An editorial leader who is also mindful of the importance of newsletters to STAT’s business. The right candidate should be excited by the idea of our portfolio of newsletters being the must-reads of the industry and ensuring that they are a key driver of STAT’s next wave of growth.
- You have previous experience editing newsletters or running newsletter strategy in a newsroom.
- You have a background specifically in health, science, business, or technology journalism.
- Experience in data analytics is a plus, as is experience working with newsletters in Hubspot.
- We know that there are strong candidates who may not fit precisely into what we’ve described above or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
The minimum salary for this position is $80,000. We offer a competitive benefits package, including health insurance, a 401k plan, generous vacation, parental leave, and more. We also provide Care.com back-up care and have numerous wellness offerings, including free access to HeadSpace for all full time employees.
The STAT office is located in downtown Boston, nearby Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market, and is easily accessible by MBTA and commuter rail lines. We have colleagues in the organization that come into the office on a regular basis and colleagues that are based in various cities throughout the US. For this role, we will consider candidates who are based anywhere in the United States.
How to Apply
Interested in this job? If so, we’d love to hear from you. Please submit a cover letter, resume, and links to up to five clips that showcase your reporting (Links should be included at the end of your cover letter.)
In your resume and/or cover letter, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example - she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc.).
STAT is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to create a culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates all voices. A staff that reflects the world around us makes for better — and more accurate — journalism.
We require that all BGMP employees (including temporary employees, co-ops, interns, and independent contractors) be vaccinated from COVID-19, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise. All BGMP employees, regardless of vaccination status or work location, must provide proof of vaccination status as instructed by the employee's designated Human Resources contact. Employees may request a reasonable accommodation or other exemption from this policy by contacting their designated Human Resources contact. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.
Boston Globe Media Partners is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media Partners is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.