The Boston Globe is hiring a community editor who can curate and elevate the discussion around some of the smartest reporting and most astute readers in the country.
The ideal candidate is a true hybrid: A journalist who possesses the judgment and copy skills of a seasoned editor, while also displaying the entrepreneurial mindset and creativity of an audience specialist. We need someone who understands the sensitivities and standards of our newsroom, but who can also spark discussions and cultivate forums that encourage the participation of readers from a wide array of backgrounds and experiences.
The candidate will know how to guide reader discussions into productive, respectful, and enlightening territories, highlighting big ideas and active threads while eliminating the negative impact of trolls or spam. The editor will also be facile with our commenting tools and work alongside our developers, designers, and product managers to continuously improve the experience.
The editor will be tasked initially with enhancing the discussions in the comments section of BostonGlobe.com and Love Letters, our relationship advice vertical. However, the editor should also take an expansive view of community discussions and seek to broaden the possibilities for reader engagement across all Globe platforms.
- Foster engagement and meaningful dialogue among subscribers in article comments
- Improve the comment experience and ultimately make it a safe environment for readers and staff to engage in thoughtful discourse
- Educate the newsroom on how to foster meaningful dialogue and potential for cultivating sourcing from comments
- Create guidelines to apply to stories with extra sensitivity
- Work alongside the product team to develop an understanding of and relationship with moderation vendors and systems
- Be community growth minded
- Create summaries of comments on key stories and projects and share with newsroom stakeholders involved
- Prepare feedback reports using metrics dashboards
- At least two-to-five years of experience in an audience or community role
- Strong news judgement
- Community building, moderation, facilitating online discussion or equivalent experience required
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced news environment
- Willingness to work nights, weekends, and other non-traditional hours as news demands
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
This position will start as a remote position but, following the office’s 2022 reopening plan, will be located in the Boston headquarters.
We require that all BGMP employees (including temporary employees, co-ops, interns, and independent contractors) be vaccinated from COVID-19, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise. All BGMP employees, regardless of vaccination status or work location, must provide proof of vaccination status as instructed by the employee's designated Human Resources contact. Employees may request a reasonable accommodation or other exemption from this policy by contacting their designated Human Resources contact. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.
Boston Globe Media Partners is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media Partners is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.