The Boston Globe is hiring a reporter to cover immigration in the New England region.
Much of the national conversation around immigration centers around the southern US border with Mexico and partisan clashes in Washington. But New England and Boston – a city whose history is defined by immigrants – are increasingly dealing with the impact of federal policy decisions.
As climate change sends migrants north, and as political unrest continues to displace people around the world, new arrivals to New England are reshaping local communities, putting pressure on housing, schools, health care, government services, and creating political tensions at the local and state level.
The Globe is looking for a journalist who can cover all these dynamics and more. We want to explain the big picture, while also focusing on the reverberations, both good and bad, in New England.
The successful candidate will be able to juggle accountability stories scrutinizing the work of local, state and national agencies; explanatory stories that help readers make sense of the political debate and policy impacts; and narrative pieces that tell rich human stories. This is a fast-paced beat with expectations for ambitious accountability and enterprise stories.
- Produce high-impact journalism, both daily and enterprise, for publication online and in print.
- Work with visual and digital specialists to create rich, unforgettable displays, and embrace alternative storytelling formats.
- At least 5 years experience as a journalist at a major publication, preferably covering immigration
- You make accountability reporting the cornerstone of your coverage.
- You have an enterprising spirit that lets you see stories that others miss and imagine new, more compelling ways to tell them.
- You can juggle assignments, handling short-term enterprise while hammering away at longer-term stories.
- You are collaborative and thrive on the energy of a group working toward a common goal.
- You have a willingness to adapt, be audience focused with a curious mindset, and are committed to creating an inclusive work environment.
- Foreign language skills preferred.
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
This position is a union position covered by a collective bargaining agreement with the Boston Newspaper Guild.
We require that all BGM employees (including temporary employees, co-ops, interns, and independent contractors) be vaccinated from COVID-19, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise. All BGM employees, regardless of vaccination status or work location, must provide proof of vaccination status as instructed by the employee's designated Human Resources contact. Employees may request a reasonable accommodation or other exemption from this policy by contacting their designated Human Resources contact. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.
At Boston Globe Media, our mission is to empower, connect, and convene our communities with independent, trusted journalism and storytelling. We know a critical part to achieve this is by having a workforce that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive - like the communities we serve. Boston Globe Media is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes candidates and colleagues of all backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and skills.