Software Engineering Manager/Tech Lead
- Boston, MA
- Full Time
- Boston Globe Media Partners
Boston Globe Media is looking for a software engineering manager / tech lead to manage its back-end platform team. As part of this role the candidate will lead a small team of backend software engineers that support various business initiatives that include the CMS systems that power BostonGlobe.com & Boston.com as well as the ecommerce systems that support the sites. This team is responsible for facilitating the data flow between business critical systems and applications.
We are an agile team, so you will be working closely with Product and the other Engineering teams to iterate on roadmap features that are being developed in two week sprints. You will be both an individual contributor as well as responsible managing your team. You’ll participate in code reviews and help to establish coding standards and guidelines. You’ll represent the platform team in meetings with stakeholders across the organization as well as at bi-weekly sprint demos, meetups, conferences, and events. You’re highly organized and motivated to keep up to speed on the latest and greatest technologies.
- 5+ years working with Node.js, Java, Passenger and other back end frameworks
- Experience with mySQL, Oracle DBs, or Postges and building REST APIs to push / receive data
- Knowledge of server side scripting languages such as JSP, PHP or Groovy
- Knowledge of shell scripting such as Bash or Python.
- Knowledge of version control systems such as Git, SVN
- Knowledge of CI tools such as Jenkins and Docker
- Familiarity with the agile methodology of software development
- Experience with software development tools such as Jira
- Strong analytical and communication skills in a hybrid work environment
- The ability to lead and manage other software engineers.
- The ability to scope projects and deliver on time.
- Player coach mentality
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
- Knowledge of React and/or similar JS frameworks
- Familiarity with front-end build tools (Webpack, etc.)
- Experience spinning up services in VMWare and AWS
This position will start as a remote position but, following the office’s 2022 reopening plan, will be located in the Boston headquarters.
EEO Statement: Boston Globe Media Partners LLC is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic.
BGMP will require that all employees, including temporary employees, co-ops, and interns, regardless of work location, provide the company Human Resources team with proof of vaccination status through the secure system that will be provided for these purposes. For those who are not vaccinated for company-approved and verified medical and/or religious reasons, that same system will also allow you to upload required weekly COVID test results. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment
Boston Globe Media is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.