Director of Games
Boston Globe Media Partners, the parent company of The Boston Globe, Boston.com, and STAT, is seeking a dynamic and experienced individual to join our team as a Director of Games. In this role, you will be responsible for developing and executing a comprehensive games strategy across our digital platforms. This could range from improving the experience of playing existing games such as the BostonGlobe.com crossword, researching and being the product owner for brand-new standalone games, exploring games as interactive storytelling tools, and considering the business and overall journey and framework of the company’s games strategy. The ideal candidate should have a proven track record in strategy development and the ability to shepherd products from concept to completion. Previous experience working specifically on games, gamification, and interactive features and digital products is highly preferred.
- Develop and implement a cohesive games strategy to engage and retain audiences across Boston Globe Media Partners’ digital platforms - The Boston Globe, Boston.com, STAT and The B-Side.
- Conduct research with readers and potential readers - to identify gaming trends, evaluate competition, and stay in tune with industry best practices.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including product management, developers, engineers, and designers, to create and deliver innovative gaming experiences. These may be internal or external resources.
- Define goals, OKRs (Objectives and Key Results), and KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) to measure the success and impact of games on audience engagement and retention.
- Utilize audience data and analytics to evaluate game performance and make data-driven decisions for ongoing improvements. Integrate user feedback into game development, as well as analyze and interpret user data to optimize engagement and satisfaction.
- Manage the games portfolio including rolling out new games and sunsetting poor performers.
- Lead the ideation, planning, and execution of game projects, ensuring adherence to timelines and budgets.
- Foster a culture of collaboration, creativity, and excellence within the team
- Stay informed about emerging technologies and industry trends related to gaming, interactive storytelling, and audience engagement in order to guide the development and direction of future games
- Oversee the development of game features and mechanics, identifying areas for improvement and implementing solutions accordingly
- Work closely with the Product team and manage relationships with external partners, such as publishers and contractors, to ensure the successful completion of projects
- Remain up-to-date on industry trends and emerging technologies, identifying opportunities for improvement and innovation, both in the news media industry and other industries.
- Bachelors’ degree recommended
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in strategy development, digital product management, or a related role.
- Passionate about games and their ability to drive engagement, tell stories, and build audience habits.
- Previous experience working specifically on games, white label games, gamification, and interactive features and products is preferred.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to leverage data to drive decision-making.
- Excellent project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Proficiency in evaluating audience data and using analytics tools to drive insights and improvements.
- Comfortable working independently and taking ownership of projects, as well as collaborating with cross-functional teams.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to effectively convey ideas and strategies to stakeholders.
Reporting and work arrangement:
The Director of Games will report to the VP of Innovation & Strategic Initiatives. The position follows the company's hybrid policy, with three days (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday) in our downtown Boston office and two days (Monday and Friday) working remotely.
We require that all BGM employees (including temporary employees, co-ops, interns, and independent contractors) be vaccinated from COVID-19, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise. All BGM employees, regardless of vaccination status or work location, must provide proof of vaccination status as instructed by the employee's designated Human Resources contact. Employees may request a reasonable accommodation or other exemption from this policy by contacting their designated Human Resources contact. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.
At Boston Globe Media, our mission is to empower, connect, and convene our communities with independent, trusted journalism and storytelling. We know a critical part to achieve this is by having a workforce that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive - like the communities we serve. Boston Globe Media is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes candidates and colleagues of all backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and skills.