The Boston Globe is hiring an editor to help manage SEO, a key part of a company-wide push to better center audience and community at the forefront of our journalism.
The editor should be a savvy digital journalist with keen judgment, someone who intuitively understands how to convey news through organic search. They are confident in conducting search engine keyword searches and deft in analyzing reader data. The editor should also be able to find the nuggets of information within Globe journalism that will allow us to stand out in a crowded sea of feeds and SERPs.
The editor will be an SEO leader in the newsroom. They will prepare reports in anticipation of planned news events, and also be willing and able to jump into breaking news cycles with SEO recommendations. They’ll also have critical feedback on site structure, and how our website can be configured to best support our efforts on search.
They should enjoy working with and educating journalists. The editor will be integral in helping The Boston Globe move forward on search, sometimes by doing, sometimes by teaching others. There is a vibrant and empowered digital team at the Globe, and they will be close partners.
This editor will be part of a newly imagined audience team in the Globe newsroom, working broadly across all departments to amplify our presence and put our readers at the center of everything we do. They will also liaise closely with partners on our marketing team and other departments on a wide range of initiatives, ensuring consistency in our approach and mission.
- Under the Senior AME for audience, act as the newsroom point person for SEO, both editorially and technically.
- Work broadly across the newsroom with journalists in all departments, helping to elevate their reporting and connect them directly to readers.
- Serve as the point person for search engine updates, ensuring that our strategies change as the platforms do.
- Liaise with partners outside the newsroom on a wide range of initiatives.
- Monitor analytics and help identify KPIs for growth and engagement.
- Help cultivate a team atmosphere and culture around our audience and community.
- Perform keyword research for recurring news cycles, breaking news, and evergreen content.
- Identify stories by monitoring what people are searching for in the Greater Boston area.
- Proven record of optimizing journalism to reach the largest possible audience on search engines.
- At least two years of experience as a journalist
- Previous experience in an SEO-specific role at a news organization
- Expert at Google Trends and Google Search Console
- Proficient with content optimization tools, such as SEMrush, Moz, or Conductor.
- Skilled at multitasking and juggling multiple, fast-moving storylines at once
- A team player who thrives working in a group setting
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
This position is a union position covered by a collective bargaining agreement with the Boston Newspaper Guild
We require that all BGMP employees (including temporary employees, co-ops, interns, and independent contractors) be vaccinated from COVID-19, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise. All BGMP employees, regardless of vaccination status or work location, must provide proof of vaccination status as instructed by the employee's designated Human Resources contact. Employees may request a reasonable accommodation or other exemption from this policy by contacting their designated Human Resources contact. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.
Boston Globe Media Partners is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media Partners is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.