Higher Education Reporter
The Boston Globe is hiring a reporter to cover New England’s private colleges and universities, including Harvard and MIT. This is a premiere beat in a region that is home to dozens of colleges, where many of the trends and innovation in higher education first emerge The reporter will also cover other high profile private schools, such as Boston College and Northeastern University, along with smaller private schools.
This reporter will have a sprawling beat to cover, and will be expected to deliver enterprise and accountability stories that can lead national conversations. The Covid pandemic and the Supreme Court’s recent ruling on affirmative action promise to change the overall landscape of higher education in this country for years to come. Rising tuition and the burden of student loan debt, coupled with a bleak business landscape for smaller schools will have an ever-increasing effect on who has access to higher education. And debates that bubble up on college campuses around race, class, equity, and free speech often have wider societal implications.
Thorough coverage of this beat will include research and innovation, faculty issues and tenure, student life, and endowment news. This beat is nationally competitive, with a need for a reporter who can break news with well-sourced scoops and chase stories on deadline when needed, but who can also pitch and deliver ambitious, thoughtful, and provocative enterprise.
The Globe is seeking a collaborative reporter, who can work effectively with the two other reporters on the team. The ideal candidate should also be audience-focused and willing to embrace non-traditional storytelling and opportunities to creatively engage with readers.
The ideal candidate is a versatile and fearless reporter with a high metabolism, someone who can write with depth, creativity, and flair. A few other qualities that would make you a good fit for this position:
- You’re creative and enterprising. You see fresh angles to storylines everywhere.
- You’re a master at cultivating sources. You don’t get beaten by the competition.
- You can handle some of the most important stories the Globe covers.
- You can write quickly and nimbly on deadline.
- You’re a collaborative reporter who likes being part of a team.
- At least 3-5 years experience as a journalist at a major market or publication
- Ability to write clean, compelling copy on deadline
- A skilled writer who can elevate good stories into great ones
- Adaptable and enterprising
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
- A team player who thrives in a group setting
The BGMP office is located in downtown Boston, near Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market, and is easily accessible by MBTA and commuter rail lines. This position is based in Boston, and candidates should be based in the area or willing to move.
This position is a union position covered by a collective bargaining agreement with the Boston Newspaper Guild
At Boston Globe Media, our mission is to empower, connect, and convene our communities with independent, trusted journalism and storytelling. We know a critical part to achieve this is by having a workforce that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive - like the communities we serve. Boston Globe Media is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes candidates and colleagues of all backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and skills.