The Boston Globe is hiring a reporter to cover the climate crisis. This reporter will be part of the Globe’s mission-driven ”Into the Red” climate team, producing human-centered and accountability stories that drive public conversations in our city and region.The reporter will be responsible for rich, original enterprise that casts the crisis as a matter of urgent public interest and helps illuminate paths toward solutions. The job will put a premium on quick and original thinking, curiosity, and drive to make an impact. Experience covering the climate, while valuable, is not necessary. Successful candidates will have demonstrated abilities with storytelling, data, and accountability reporting. A core mission of Into the Red is to act as watchdog to public and private leaders/interests responsible for reducing greenhouse gas emissions. Bringing light to problems including the unequal impact on neighborhoods and communities is another. In every instance, this reporter will find ways to extract from the vast and diffuse nature of the climate crisis stories that feel fresh and immediate, and that resonate with a broad audience.
Produce high-impact stories, both daily and longer-term, for publication online and in print. Work with other members of the climate team, occasionally with beat reporters, and with visual and digital specialists to create rich, unforgettable displays and utilize alternative story forms.
- At least 5 years experience as a journalist at a major publication
- Ability to translate and humanize specialized information to grab a general audience.
- Experience with accountability reporting. You are comfortable chasing down and confronting political and business leaders and can write so that readers immediately grasp the high stakes of your subject.
- You have an enterprising spirit that lets you see stories that others miss and imagine new, more compelling ways to tell them.
- Ability to work with data.
- You can juggle assignments, handling short-term enterprise while hammering away at longer-term stories.
- You are collaborative and thrive on the energy of a group working toward a common goal.
- You have a willingness to adapt, be audience focused with a curious mindset, and are committed to creating an inclusive work environment
This position is a union position covered by a collective bargaining agreement with the
Boston Newspaper Guild.
We require that all BGMP employees (including temporary employees, co-ops, interns, and independent contractors) be vaccinated from COVID-19, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise. All BGMP employees, regardless of vaccination status or work location, must provide proof of vaccination status as instructed by the employee's designated Human Resources contact. Employees may request a reasonable accommodation or other exemption from this policy by contacting their designated Human Resources contact. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.
Boston Globe Media Partners is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media Partners is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.