Climate Reporters (2)
The Boston Globe is hiring a reporter to cover the climate crisis and the massive changes needed to confront it in our city, state and region. The reporter will be part of the Globe’s mission-driven climate team and deliver high-impact accountability and enterprise reporting that drives the public conversation around climate action. Stories will examine and explain the ongoing fight over how to achieve a low-carbon future and hold accountable government and private interests that must carry out climate policies or call out those who stand in the way. The reporter will also highlight solutions.
This is a critical role in the Globe’s mission to apply investigative vigor to a subject of sometimes paralyzing scale and complexity. Successful candidates do not necessarily need climate experience, but they must have strong track records in extracting important or impactful stories that capture public attention. They will be curious, have strong skills with data and source-building, and they must demonstrate resourcefulness in forging stories that pierce the fog of a diffuse subject to illuminate problems and create change.
Because the climate crisis is a vast and often technically challenging subject, the reporter must also show uncommon ability to understand and translate complex concepts for a general audience, always seeking ways to engage numbed readers and tap the biggest, most important themes of the moment. They will thrive in a collaborative environment and possess an enterprising spirit with relentless drive to have impact.
Produce high-impact stories, both daily and longer-term, for publication online and in print. Work with other members of the climate team, occasionally with beat reporters, and with visual and digital specialists to create rich, unforgettable displays and utilize alternative story forms.
- At least 5 years experience as a journalist at a major publication.
- Experience with accountability reporting.
- High level of skill in acquiring, manipulating, and interpreting data.
- Insatiable curiosity and relentless drive to get to the bottom of unanswered questions.
- Ability to translate and humanize specialized information and an instinct for stories that can’t be put down.
- Adept at handling a fast work pace, balancing urgent news with longer-term enterprise.
- Work in a collaborative setting and thrive on the energy of a group working toward a common goal.
- Willingness to adapt, be audience focused and committed to creating an inclusive work environment
The BGMP office is located in downtown Boston, near Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market, and is easily accessible by MBTA and commuter rail lines. This position is based in Boston, and candidates should be based in the area or willing to move.
This position is a union position covered by a collective bargaining agreement with the Boston Newspaper Guild.
At Boston Globe Media, our mission is to empower, connect, and convene our communities with independent, trusted journalism and storytelling. We know a critical part to achieve this is by having a workforce that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive - like the communities we serve. Boston Globe Media is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes candidates and colleagues of all backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and skills.