The Boston Globe is hiring an editor for its newsletters. We’re looking for someone with a wealth of energy and ideas who can join the all-star team at The Boston Globe.
This position reports to the senior editorial director for newsletters and will be tasked with helping lead an expansion into this critical channel for our audience. The editor should be a savvy digital journalist who intuitively understands how to convey news via newsletters. They should be comfortable working across a diverse newsroom with a wide variety of writers and editors to help them hone a voice and build native, newsletter audiences.
The editor should also be skilled with the operational aspects of newsletters. They will ideally have experience with MailChimp, Salesforce, or another newsletter system and be able to take newsletters from concept to hitting the send button.
This is a collaborative role intertwined with our business success, and candidates should be able to work with colleagues in marketing, product, advertising, and development on cross-functional initiatives and company-wide benchmarks.
In addition, the editor should be someone who:
- Possesses expert news judgment and feels comfortable making major news decisions independently.
- Writes phenomenal headlines, subject lines and pre-headers and has a knack for distilling complicated concepts into a handful of clear, crisp words and graphs
- Has deep experience publishing to digital platforms, whether it’s your site’s homepage, social media accounts, newsletters, alerts, or another avenue through which readers travel.
- Is fluent in email metrics and analytics -- not only how to interpret them, but also how to use them as a tool to make decisions.
- Thrives as part of a group setting, juggling multiple tasks at once and collaborating with your colleagues in a fast-paced environment.
- Shows creativity. You constantly think about unorthodox ways to tell stories and convey the news to people. You thrive being at the cutting edge of technology and journalism, and want to help push this industry into the future.
- At least 2 - 5 years of experience as a journalist
- Previous experience writing, producing, and managing successful newsletters
- Excellent at writing copy for email, repacking stories for email, and crafting an inbox-first experience that engages passive readers and converts loyal readers to subscriptions
- Comfortable representing a publication on official accounts
- Skilled at simultaneously working on fast-moving storylines, newsletters and related projects
- A strong collaborator who thrives in group settings
- Manage editorial strategy for newsletters in alignment with newsroom editorial priorities, breaking news and business goals
- Knowledgeable of email best practices and local audience content needs
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
The BGMP office is located in downtown Boston, near Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market, and is easily accessible by MBTA and commuter rail lines. For this role, we will consider candidates who are based anywhere in the United States.
At Boston Globe Media, our mission is to empower, connect, and convene our communities with independent, trusted journalism and storytelling. We know a critical part to achieve this is by having a workforce that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive - like the communities we serve. Boston Globe Media is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes candidates and colleagues of all backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and skills.