STAT - Reporter, Commercial Determinants of Health
- Boston, MA
- Full Time
- Mid Level
In November 2015, STAT was launched as a media company focused on health, medicine, and life sciences. We have become an authoritative and trustworthy news source, and our team has won numerous journalism awards, including being named as a 2021 Pulitzer finalist. The STAT brand includes a website, mobile app, numerous newsletters, live and virtual events, podcasts, and other products. STAT is affiliated with Boston Globe Media Partners but is independent from The Boston Globe.
STAT is looking for a reporter to investigate the commercial determinants of health — that is, private-sector actions that contribute to chronic diseases by influencing people to make healthy or unhealthy choices in the products they buy or the policies they support. These corporate actions might include exploitation of research, regulations, advertising, lobbying, social media, and other tactics to sell products that can increase risk of cardiovascular disease, cancer, obesity or addiction; they might also include information campaigns that sway public opinion on health policy proposals.
- Tell smart, compelling stories about how and when commercial interests are shaping people’s health, often for the worse. We want to investigate and understand the stakes, the techniques, the target audience, and the impact on society.
- Dig into hidden connections between corporations and research labs; between corporations and regulators; between corporations and consumers.
- Examine the safety of hyped new products and the impact on consumers’ lives.
- Be a key player on a top-notch team producing deep and vital enterprise and investigative reporting on chronic disease.
- Contribute items to STAT newsletters, participate in STAT events, and cover other duties or other spot stories from time to time.
- At least five years journalism experience, including coverage of health or science issues.
- Proven ability to break news, generate ideas, dive deep, clarify the complex, and write with precision and compassion
- Productiveness working alone and openness to collaborating with others at STAT
- Willingness to try out different story forms
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
The minimum salary for this position is $80,000. We offer a competitive benefits package, including health insurance, a 401k plan, generous vacation, parental leave, and more. We also provide Care.com back-up care and have numerous wellness offerings, including free access to HeadSpace for all full time employees.
This position can be based in our Boston headquarters or remotely. While the location is flexible, occasional travel is likely. That would include trips to STAT’s headquarters and travel to other cities for reporting purposes.
We know that there are strong candidates who may not fit precisely into what we’ve described above or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
Please send your resume, cover letter, and links to up to five clips that showcase your reporting attached to your resume or following your cover letter. In your resume and/or cover letter, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example - she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc.).
This position is a union position covered by a collective bargaining agreement with the Boston Newspaper Guild.
STAT is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to create a culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates all voices. A staff that reflects the world around us makes for better — and more accurate — journalism
BGMP will require that all employees, including temporary employees, co-ops, and interns, regardless of work location, provide the company Human Resources team with proof of vaccination status through the secure system that will be provided for these purposes. For those who are not vaccinated for company-approved and verified medical and/or religious reasons, that same system will also allow you to upload required weekly COVID test results. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment
Boston Globe Media is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.