STAT - Hospital Finance Reporter
- Boston, MA
- Full Time
- Entry Level
In November 2015, STAT was launched as a new national media brand focused on health, medicine, and life sciences. Since then, we have grown to be the authoritative and trustworthy news media source in the industry and our all-star team of editors and reporters have won numerous journalism awards, including being named as a 2021 Pulitzer finalist. The STAT brand includes a website (www.statnews.com), mobile app, numerous newsletters, live and virtual events, and other products. STAT is affiliated with Boston Globe Media Partners but is independent from The Boston Globe.
STAT, the leading health and science site, is looking for a reporter to cover the business of providing health care in this country. This reporter will pursue ambitious and impactful stories about major hospitals, provider groups, and the future of the sector, rather than focusing on press releases or single mergers and acquisitions. They will dig deep into the trends and the personalities that are shaping hospitals’ financial activities, scrutinizing and illuminating the players that drive so much of the way patients experience health care in the United States.
- Tell smart, distinctive stories about health systems, hospitals, and provider groups, with a sharp focus on accountability and fresh angles
- Illuminate and analyze the pressures and innovations driving industry-wide trends, while also spotting compelling outliers and profiling key decision makers, companies, and organizations
- Moderate and lead events and contribute to newsletters
- Work with our data and multimedia teams to explore innovative formats for telling stories
- A versatile and creative writer prepared to make connections and spot trends across the diverse landscape of health care delivery
- Eager to dive deep into complicated subject matters — and to translate that complexity into clear, compelling narratives
- A self-starter when it comes to stories, but also collaborative in nature. STAT thrives on a tight-knit, all-hands-on-deck culture and a strong team dynamic.
- Committed to excellence in your reporting.
- Bonus points if you are deeply knowledgeable about hospital finance and experienced in telling stories about hospitals, doctors, and other clinicians.
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
The minimum salary for this position is $75,000. We offer a competitive benefits package, including health insurance, a 401k plan, generous vacation, and more. We also provide Care,com back-up care and have numerous wellness offerings, including free access to HeadSpace for all full time employees.
While we’d prefer you to be based in Boston, we also are considering remote candidates who would be willing to spend time at HQ once Covid recedes.
Please send your resume, cover letter, and links to up to five clips that showcase your reporting attached to your resume or following your cover letter.
STAT is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to create a culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates all voices. A staff that reflects the world around us makes for better — and more accurate — journalism.
BGMP will require that all employees, including temporary employees, co-ops, and interns, regardless of work location, provide the company Human Resources team with proof of vaccination status through the secure system that will be provided for these purposes. For those who are not vaccinated for company-approved and verified medical and/or religious reasons, that same system will also allow you to upload required weekly COVID test results. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment
Boston Globe Media is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.