Boston.com - Staff Writer
Boston.com is one of the most-read digital media outlets in the region. Each month, our stories reach millions of people, and we’re seeking to improve our offering by adding a staff writer to our team.
The ideal candidate is a highly collaborative, creative, versatile journalist who covers the topics and stories that our readers care about on any given day, whether an election or a snowstorm or viral Boston moment.
This staff writer will primarily achieve results through consistently reporting and writing stories that fit our mission: What Boston really cares about right now.
- Craft timely, well-researched pitches, and work on assignments with equal enthusiasm. Cover a range of stories by reporting and/or aggregating credible sources, separating fact from fiction. Write copy with meticulous attention to detail.
- Primarily focus on creating content that serves our region. Utilize user data as the main — but not only — indicator of success, and distill findings into instinct and action.
- Consistently voice new ideas and solutions that help to improve our coverage. Actively contribute to brainstorms and discussions that impact the site’s offering.
- Experiment with, adapt to, and suggest digital storytelling approaches, formats, and tools that better serve our audience and team.
- 2-4 years spent reporting and writing for a media outlet, preferably covering the region.
- A track record of successful, audience-focused work.
- A progressive understanding of the ways that readers engage with content on social, search, and mobile platforms.
- A willingness to adapt, an audience-focused mentality, and a commitment to fostering an inclusive work environment.
The reporter team will work from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday-Friday on a hybrid schedule (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday). The BGMP office is located in downtown Boston, near Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market, and is easily accessible by MBTA and commuter rail lines. This position is based in Boston, and candidates should be based in the area or willing to move.
This position is a union position covered by a collective bargaining agreement with the Boston Newspaper Guild.
At Boston Globe Media, our mission is to empower, connect, and convene our communities with independent, trusted journalism and storytelling. We know a critical part to achieve this is by having a workforce that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive - like the communities we serve. Boston Globe Media is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes candidates and colleagues of all backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and skills.