Digital Producer - The Emancipator
The Emancipator is seeking a digital journalist to create and post content for TheEmancipator.org.
About The Emancipator
The Emancipator is a digital publication that reimagines the first abolitionist newspapers in the United States for a new day. Just as 19th-century antislavery publications reframed and amplified the quest for abolition, the new Emancipator centers critical voices, debates, and evidence-based opinion to reframe the national conversation on racial equity and hasten racially just outcomes.
We are driven by a commitment to understanding how systems work to allow everyone to live and thrive. Joy and possibility underlie our ethos.
The Emancipator is looking for a driven, flexible collaborator who can write, edit, and bend even the most stubborn CMS to their will. You will format and produce commentary, features, videos, and explainers, and also collaborate with reporters and editors to shape online coverage.
You are comfortable liaising with the editorial, art, and product development teams. You’re a highly motivated, innovative thinker who looks for creative ways of presenting text and data stories. Your mission is to present impactful storytelling in a thoughtful way, and to drive engagement through a powerful and memorable user experience.
The ideal candidate has strong attention to detail and love of product design, illustration, and photography. You are comfortable with data and data visualization, capable of parsing stories to find creative ways to communicate to readers.
You’ll be central to creating the kind of inclusive, joyful, can-do culture that symbolizes the mission of this startup. You are not creating for the moment; you are creating for the future.
The Digital Producer reports to the two co-editors in chief. Our team is based in Boston, but we are open to a remote position. This is a full-time position.
In addition, the digital producer should …
- Possess expert news judgment and feel comfortable making major content decisions independently.
- Write phenomenal headlines and have a knack for distilling complicated concepts into clear, crisp words.
- Have deep experience publishing to digital platforms, whether it’s your site’s homepage, social media accounts, newsletters, alerts, or another avenue through which readers travel.
- Be comfortable with data and data visualization. We don’t need a developer, but we do need someone who can find stories in data and who can collaborate with artists and developers to tell stories in nontraditional ways.
- Be fluent in audience analytics, not only how to interpret them, but also how to use them as a tool to make decisions around story selection and placement.
- Handle audience engagement, including sharing content on social media channels, writing and editing newsletters, and updating headlines, teasers, and story descriptions to attract larger audiences.
- Thrive in a group setting, juggling multiple tasks, while collaborating with colleagues in a fast-paced environment.
- Show creativity. You constantly think about unorthodox ways to tell stories and convey information, learning and engaging with the latest digital tools and applications.
- At least 2-4 years of experience as a journalist
- Excellent headline writer
- Strong editor, for both copy and clarity
- Able to produce clean, informative copy quickly and on deadline
- Experienced reporter familiar with sourcing and journalistic standards
- Facility with using and learning new content management systems
- Skilled at multitasking and juggling multiple, fast-moving storylines at once
- Experienced with social media and other alternate platforms
- A team player who thrives in a group setting
- Has a willingness to adapt, be audience focused with a curious mindset, and committed to creating an inclusive work environment.
- An understanding of how readers engage with content on social, search, and mobile platforms, as well as best practices for search optimization.
- Proficiency with a wide range of multimedia tools and formats, including social media, basic HTML, video, audio, and tools yet to come to market.
BGMP will require that all employees, including temporary employees, co-ops, and interns, regardless of work location, provide the company Human Resources team with proof of vaccination status through the secure system that will be provided for these purposes. For those who are not vaccinated for company-approved and verified medical and/or religious reasons, that same system will also allow you to upload required weekly COVID test results. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment
Boston Globe Media is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.