Assistant Digital Editor
The Assistant Digital Editor is a multifaceted journalist who maintains Globe Opinion’s presence on digital platforms and works to ensure our content is reaching as broad an audience as possible. This will entail handling a range of tasks across multiple platforms, coordinating with other editors, and developing audience engagement strategies for the section. This editor should have skills in writing and editing copy, producing content for the web, analyzing audience data, and working collaboratively with multiple editors, writers, and other teams.
- Make sure that pieces are ready for digital publication and that editors and columnists are writing strong headlines and URLs for search purposes.
- Work with the homepage and social media editors to ensure that pieces are published at the optimal time and given effective promotion on social channels as well as through devices like push alerts.
- Coordinate workflow on large projects that require complex design work and involve multiple editors and desks. Coordinate preparation of multimedia and social media content for those projects.
- Analyze daily and monthly audience data to help us understand what is working and what can be improved in our strategies for social media, newsletters, and SEO.
- Work with the editorial page editor and columnists to oversee production and promotion of Opinion newsletters. Assist in launching new ones.
- Advise the editorial page editor on broad audience engagement strategy and best practices.
The Assistant Digital Editor is expected to produce work that is distinctly different from anyone else in the building, blending a variety of journalistic, production and digital skills during the course of a shift to produce robust, engaging, and timely digital content for the Globe.
This position is a union position covered by a collective bargaining agreement with the Boston Newspaper Guild
We require that all BGMP employees (including temporary employees, co-ops, interns, and independent contractors) be vaccinated from COVID-19, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise. All BGMP employees, regardless of vaccination status or work location, must provide proof of vaccination status as instructed by the employee's designated Human Resources contact. Employees may request a reasonable accommodation or other exemption from this policy by contacting their designated Human Resources contact. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.
Boston Globe Media Partners is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media Partners is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.