Lead Writer: Boston Local
- Boston, MA
- Full Time
- Boston Local
- Mid Level
Boston Local is a new hyper-local daily newsletter delivering the most engaging and culturally-relevant stories to Bostonians. The publication will focus on providing the community with the most essential daily information while curating and elevating the most interesting and timely voices in Boston. The Boston Local brand includes a daily newsletter, social channels, and live events.
Boston Local is hiring a Lead Writer who will help us launch and grow Greater Boston’s most engaging and relevant local daily newsletter. The ideal candidate is a dynamic writer and storyteller deeply ingrained in Boston’s cultural fabric.
The writer will be responsible for creating and executing an editorial plan, alongside the editor, for how to inform, excite, and delight Bostonians through original, user-generated, and contributor content across multimedia platforms. This is an opportunity to shape a new digital publication’s identity, voice, and tone.
The writer will be the voice of the daily newsletter and its social channels. The ideal candidate is a creative storyteller who possesses a knack for discovering the most buzzworthy topics in the community, and contextualizing this information to drive audience engagement.
- Report and write the copy for Boston’s most essential daily newsletter, including Big Stories, curated Community News, Event Spotlights, Weekend Guides, and additional rotating featurettes. The newsletter will publish seven days a week to start.
- Create and manage Boston Local’s editorial calendar and content strategy, adapting to audience opportunities and feedback.
- Understand, monitor and report on newsletter engagement and content success.
- Collaborate with Boston Local’s Multiplatform Producer on the daily newsletter product and social media strategy.
- Collaborate with Events Team to create in-person and virtual event strategies to amplify Boston Local’s coverage.
- Publicly represent Boston Local’s brand, and serve as an internal champion of the Boston Local concept amongst the Boston.com, Boston Globe, and STAT newsrooms.
- Collaborate with Boston Local’s General Manager to develop native content strategy to promote healthy advertising revenue. Write sponsored content as needed.
- Extensive experience in multimedia content creation, including written, audio and video
- A progressive understanding of how audiences engage with content across platforms and mediums
- Dedicated and focused brand-builder with experience growing audiences for personal brands or media companies.
- Passionate and connected with the city of Boston, its people, and its institutions (preferably, a resident)
- Curious about local media and knowledgeable about the industry’s trends and emerging publications
- Entrepreneurial with the ability to make high-level decisions
- Motivated to understand and leverage emerging technologies to grow audiences and deliver unique content experiences
- Experience delivering content in a fast-paced environment
- Occasional night-time or weekend work may be required.
- A willingness to adapt, hyper-focus on audience wants and needs, and a passion for storytelling in a variety of evolving formats.
Boston Local is affiliated with Boston Globe Media Partners but is independent from The Boston Globe and Boston.com.
BGMP will require that all employees, including temporary employees, co-ops, and interns, regardless of work location, provide the company Human Resources team with proof of vaccination status through the secure system that will be provided for these purposes. For those who are not vaccinated for company-approved and verified medical and/or religious reasons, that same system will also allow you to upload required weekly COVID test results. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment
Boston Globe Media is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.