Boston.com - Staff Writer, Nights
Boston.com is one of the most-read digital media outlets in the region. Each month, our stories reach millions of people, and we’re seeking to expand our coverage by adding a nighttime staff writer to our team.
The ideal candidate is a highly collaborative, creative, versatile journalist who covers the topics and stories that our readers care about on any given day, whether an election or a snowstorm or a viral Boston moment.
This staff writer will primarily achieve results through consistently reporting and writing stories that fit our mission: What Boston really cares about right now.
- Craft timely, well-researched pitches, and work on assignments with equal enthusiasm. Cover a range of stories by reporting and/or aggregating credible sources, separating fact from fiction. Write copy with meticulous attention to detail.
- Primarily focus on creating content that serves our region. Utilize user data as the main — but not only — indicator of success, and distill findings into instinct and action.
- Consistently voice new ideas and solutions that help to improve our coverage. Actively contribute to brainstorms and discussions that impact the site’s offering.
- Experiment with, adapt to, and suggest digital storytelling approaches, formats, and tools that better serve our audience and team.
- 2-4 years spent reporting and writing for a media outlet, preferably covering the region.
- A track record of successful, audience-focused work.
- A progressive understanding of the ways that readers engage with content on social, search, and mobile platforms.
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
The night team will work from 4 p.m.-midnight Sunday through Thursday on a hybrid schedule. On Tuesdays and Wednesdays, the night team works from the BGMP offices in Boston, with the option of working remotely on Sundays, Mondays, and Thursdays.
This position is a union position covered by a collective bargaining agreement with the Boston Newspaper Guild
We require that all BGMP employees (including temporary employees, co-ops, interns, and independent contractors) be vaccinated from COVID-19, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise. All BGMP employees, regardless of vaccination status or work location, must provide proof of vaccination status as instructed by the employee's designated Human Resources contact. Employees may request a reasonable accommodation or other exemption from this policy by contacting their designated Human Resources contact. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.
Boston Globe Media Partners is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media Partners is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.