The SEO Director will be responsible for maintaining and optimizing technical SEO for the digital
product portfolio, for BostonGlobe.com and Boston.com; while providing guidance to
Statnews.com. This director is part of the technology team and is responsible for the overall
growth of our search-engine referrals. The role will work closely with a tightly-knit, cross-
disciplinary group of product managers, designers, developers, editors, and analysts, as well as
key circulation, marketing, advertising, and editorial staff. The role will also help align SEO
strategy by working with a team of SEO managers dedicated to each of the newsrooms.
● Develop the SEO technical and product strategy for BGMP’s digital properties.
● Lead the organization's technical and partnership approaches to SEO including
managing our contract with Conductor.
● Stay on top of industry trends and changes pertaining to SEO and drive how the
organization quickly adapts to Google updates impacting our audiences and business.
● Continually audit the sites, monitor activity, analyze performance, identify areas of
opportunity and recommend ways to drive traffic and improve KPIs.
● Identify and implement growth strategies that are additive to existing SEO efforts,
generating higher rankings, impressions, clicks, and CTRs.
● Own the corporate-wide SEO roadmap and define the tactics to achieve the SEO
● Translate priorities to tasks and work closely with the product development team on the
SEO roadmap as it pertains to technical improvements.
● Monitor impact post-release and share learnings among stakeholders.
● Work with newsroom SEO managers on all relevant content opportunities, empowering
our journalists to further develop the skill of writing with search engine intent.
● Run a regular meeting with SEO managers with the purpose of synthesizing successes,
best practices, testing, and experimentation across sites.
● Focus the SEO managers on their most imperative content tactics, including keyword,
rank tracking, content optimization, link-building, taxonomy, etc.
● Review and report on results through dashboards and regular updates, including to the
senior leadership team.
● Provide coaching support and leadership to newsroom SEO managers.
● Regularly provide SEO trainings for dev, product and editorial teams.
● Responsible for managing SEO vendors and agencies.
● Five or more years of SEO experience in a director-level role with a demonstrable track
record of results
● Experience with SEO tools including Google custom search, Google News, Discover,
Keyword Planner, Webmaster tools, SEMRush, Moz, ScreamingFrog, Yoast, and
● Deep understanding of technical SEO strategy
● Deep understanding and experience implementing best practices
● Excellent project management skills
● Technically proficient and some knowledge of HTML
● Prior experience with SEO site audits, sitemap reviews, and other critical SEO
● Analytical skills and experience utilizing Excel, Chartbeat, and Adobe Analytics
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills and comfortable presenting results to
● Passion for news, digital media, and how people consume content online
We require that all BGMP employees (including temporary employees, co-ops, interns, and independent contractors) be vaccinated from COVID-19, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise. All BGMP employees, regardless of vaccination status or work location, must provide proof of vaccination status as instructed by the employee's designated Human Resources contact. Employees may request a reasonable accommodation or other exemption from this policy by contacting their designated Human Resources contact. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.
Boston Globe Media Partners is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media Partners is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.