Business Reporter, Technology & Innovation
- Boston, MA
- Full Time
- Mid Level
The Boston Globe’s business department is hiring a reporter to cover technology and innovation. We’re looking for someone with a wealth of energy and ideas who can capture the vibrancy, culture, and essence of one of the region’s most pivotal sectors.
Massachusetts has a long history of leadership in technology, from the rise of the computer industry and the Route 128 corridor to the birth of venture capital, startup incubators, and the likes of Facebook, Reddit, and Wayfair. We need a reporter who not only understands this sector and how to cover it, but can also portray the region’s special relationship with innovation and how it helps define our future.
The reporter should be well-versed in tech and startup culture, someone who can unearth stories that industry experts and everyday readers will find compelling. They should possess a high metabolism and be a source-building machine, regularly publishing scoops and breaking news ahead of the competition. Furthermore, the reporter should be able to think big. We need someone who can authoritatively describe emerging trends and how they relate to broader issues of equity, wealth, and policy.
- Experience covering a technology or innovation beat. You should be well-sourced and understand the landscape.
- You’re creative and enterprising. You see fresh angles to storylines everywhere and you’re a newshound who still gets a rush when you beat the competition.
- You can handle the most important, sensitive stories we cover here at the Globe, but you’re also not beyond rolling up your sleeves and spinning an incredulous yarn filled with humor and mirth.
- You’re cool under the tightest deadlines, but also know when not to rush a story, because taking an extra day can make the difference between a good story and a great one. You’re not afraid of analytics, but you’re also not defined by them, and you always trust your instincts on a good story.
- Knowledge of sectors such as artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, social media, crypto/financial tech, or venture capital is a plus.
- Finally, you’re a collaborative reporter who likes being part of a high-performing team.
- At least 3-5 years journalism experience, preferably including technology or innovation beat reporting
- Ability to write clean, compelling copy on deadline
- A skilled reporter and writer who can elevate good stories into great ones
- Be adaptable and enterprising, someone who brings their own ideas to the table
- A team player who thrives in a group setting
- This reporter will be based in Boston
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
Please apply with your cover letter and resume.
BGMP will require that all employees, including temporary employees, co-ops, and interns, regardless of work location, provide the company Human Resources team with proof of vaccination status through the secure system that will be provided for these purposes. For those who are not vaccinated for company-approved and verified medical and/or religious reasons, that same system will also allow you to upload required weekly COVID test results. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment
Boston Globe Media is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.