The Boston Globe is looking for an ambitious, experienced reporter to join its medical team in covering one of the world’s most vibrant and respected healthcare communities.
Medical news in Boston often has national or even international repercussions, and the Globe needs a reporter to cover the science and the context of medical developments while centering the people most affected by them.
The reporter will be expected to generate a steady stream of stories on clinical research, patient care and treatment trends, including breaking dailies and enterprise stories, some developed over longer periods of time.
A few other qualities that would make you a good fit for this position:
- A background in and experience covering the life sciences.
- You’re well-sourced, or know how to build a source network quickly.
- You’re creative, enterprising and curious. You see fresh angles to storylines everywhere and you’re a newshound who still gets a rush when you beat the competition.
- You can handle the most important, sensitive stories we cover here at the Globe, but you’re also not beyond rolling up your sleeves and spinning a lighthearted yarn.
- You’re cool under the tightest of deadlines.
- You’re a collaborative reporter who likes being part of a high-performing team.
- 5+ years journalism experience.
- Experience working for a daily news organization preferred.
- Strong reporting and writing skills and the ability to grasp the complexities of medical science and health care.
- Ability to generate story ideas.
- A commitment to creating an inclusive work environment and embracing the Globe’s priorities regarding diversity and inclusion in the workplace and in our coverage.
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
The BGMP office is located in downtown Boston, near Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market, and is easily accessible by MBTA and commuter rail lines. This position is based in Boston, and candidates should be based in the area or willing to move.
This position is a union position covered by a collective bargaining agreement with the Boston Newspaper Guild.
At Boston Globe Media, our mission is to empower, connect, and convene our communities with independent, trusted journalism and storytelling. We know a critical part to achieve this is by having a workforce that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive - like the communities we serve. Boston Globe Media is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes candidates and colleagues of all backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and skills.