Boston.com is one of the most-read digital media outlets in the region. Each month, our stories reach millions of people, and we’re seeking to expand our coverage by adding a nighttime staff writer to our team.
The ideal candidate is a highly collaborative, creative, versatile thinker who covers the topics and stories that our readers care about on any given day, whether an election or a snowstorm or viral Boston moment.
We value unique insights and coverage that can stand out from the pack. Do you obsess over finding the Boston angle to every national story? Then you’re the right person for this role.
This staff writer will primarily achieve results through consistently reporting and writing stories that fit our mission: What Boston really cares about right now.
- Craft timely, well-researched pitches, and work on assignments with equal enthusiasm. Cover a range of stories by reporting and/or aggregating credible sources, separating fact from fiction. Write copy with meticulous attention to detail.
- Focus on creating content that serves our region. Utilize user data as the main — but not only — indicator of success, and distill findings into instinct and action.
- Consistently voice new ideas and solutions that help to improve our coverage. Actively contribute to brainstorms and discussions that impact the site’s offering.
- Experiment with, adapt to, and suggest digital storytelling approaches, formats, and tools that better serve our audience and team.
- Share your content across our various social media channels, tapping into the conversation of the day with pertinent copy and local knowledge.
- 2-4 years spent reporting and writing for a media outlet, preferably covering the region.
- A track record of successful, audience-focused work.
- A progressive understanding of the ways that readers engage with content on social, search, and mobile platforms.
- Has a willingness to adapt, be audience focused with a curious mindset and committed to creating an inclusive work environment
- The night team works from 4 p.m.-midnight on a Sunday through Thursday schedule.
Boston Globe Media is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.