Politics Producer, BostonGlobe.com
The Boston Globe is hiring a producer to help direct its politics coverage for the 2024 New Hampshire primary and the broader presidential campaign beyond. This is a dynamic, critical position on a political team that will be charged with some of our most essential news reporting over the next year-and-a-half.
The producer will be a linchpin of our daily politics coverage. They will write and edit breaking news and trending feature stories centered around the campaign. They will curate our online political report through a mix of staff and wire stories, working closely with editors and reporters to outline coverage plans and set priorities. And they will lead our live coverage during debates, election nights, and other touchstone events.
The producer will also possess an advanced sense for how to interact with an online audience. They will craft explainers, takeaways, and news-you-can-use election guides to help readers understand complicated concepts and events. They will be adept at using social media, SEO, analytics, newsletters, and other proven methods for reaching readers.
Collaboration is a key part of this job. In addition to working closely with the rest of the Globe’s political staff, the producer will liaise with the visual, data, audience, and programming teams to deliver sterling, multifaceted experiences for readers.
This job is located in our Boston headquarters and will include frequent communication with reporters on the road and journalists in our New Hampshire and Washington, D.C. bureaus.
- Possesses expert news judgment and feels comfortable making major news decisions independently.
- Has prior political journalism experience and deep knowledge of American politics.
- Is capable of writing stories for online deadlines with creativity, depth, and flair.
- Writes phenomenal headlines and has a knack for distilling complicated concepts into a handful of clear, crisp words.
- Has deep experience publishing to digital platforms, whether it’s your site’s homepage, social media accounts, SEO, newsletters, alerts, or another avenue through which readers travel.
- Is fluent in audience analytics -- not only how to interpret them, but also how to use them as a tool to make decisions.
- Thrives as part of a group setting, juggling multiple tasks at once and collaborating with your colleagues in a fast-paced environment.
- Shows creativity. You constantly think about unorthodox ways to tell stories and convey the news to people. You thrive being at the cutting edge of technology and journalism, and want to help push this industry into the future.
- At least 2-5 years of experience as a journalist focused on digital audiences
- Prior experience reporting and writing about national politics
- Terrific news judgment and confidence making news decisions on tight deadlines
- Excellent headline writer
- Able to backread stories for errors and clarity
- Able to produce clean, informative copy quickly and on deadline
- Familiar with sourcing and journalistic standards
- Facility for using and learning new content management systems
- Skilled at multitasking and juggling multiple, fast-moving storylines at once
- Experienced with social media and other alternate platforms
- A team player who thrives working in a group setting
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
The BGMP office is located in downtown Boston, near Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market, and is easily accessible by MBTA and commuter rail lines. This position is based in Boston, and candidates should be based in the area or willing to move.
This position is a union position covered by a collective bargaining agreement with the Boston Newspaper Guild.
At Boston Globe Media, our mission is to empower, connect, and convene our communities with independent, trusted journalism and storytelling. We know a critical part to achieve this is by having a workforce that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive - like the communities we serve. Boston Globe Media is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes candidates and colleagues of all backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and skills.