STAT - Head of Product and Innovation
In November 2015, STAT was launched as a media company focused on health, medicine, and life sciences. Since then, we have grown to be the authoritative and trustworthy news source in the industry and our all-star team of journalists have won numerous awards, including being named as a 2021 Pulitzer finalist. In addition to our website, we offer a mobile app, a suite of free and subscriber-only newsletters, live and virtual events, and more. STAT is affiliated with Boston Globe Media Partners but is independent from The Boston Globe.
The Head of Product will deliver value to readers/clients and revenue to the company, and in the process further solidify STAT as an industry leading digital news organization.
Reporting to the COO, the Head of Product will work closely with the STAT leadership, and collaboratively across the organization, he/she will assume responsibility for leading all STAT product strategy and bringing innovation to all of our offerings and operations. Working collaboratively with the head of engineering and head of visual strategy, he/she will manage the overall product roadmap and lead the bi-weekly product development sprints to deliver products/innovations on-time and within budget. This person will be responsible for STAT’s groundbreaking role in the digital media landscape, while developing STAT’s products to provide the best possible user experience to all of our audiences.
- Deliver value to our readers/clients and revenue to the organization
- Have a deep understanding of all of our many customers (subscribers, event attendees, advertisers), the segments within those customer groups, their needs and challenges, and how STAT’s offerings can help them. Bringing that “voice of the customer” to our product vision, and seeing it realized on the roadmap, and in all new product releases.
- In conjunction with the other members of leadership, define, maintain and accelerate STAT’s product strategy and opportunities for innovation to scale both our customer growth, and the efficiency and effectiveness of our internal operation.
- Work with leadership, consumer revenue, advertising sales and marketing, events, and editorial teams to fully understand and define business goals and product priorities through competitive analysis, customer research, user testing, and data analysis.
- While the core “product” for a news organization is the content, the Head of Product will find product/technology/UX innovation that also delivers value to customers.
- Work with the design and engineering teams to strategize, articulate and document project goals, scope, timing, success metrics, and to identify potential areas of risk, all while meeting business and technology needs.
- Work with the data team to gain insight into user engagement across our product offering and identify user pain points.
- Manage a growing team of Product Managers aligned to core business units while supporting and encouraging their growth and professional development
Skills & Attributes
- The Head of Product that STAT is seeking will be a highly effective product leader who excels in a fast-paced organization with high expectations. Specifically, the successful candidate will have the following characteristics:
- A deep appreciation of the value of our journalism, leading to actionable insights on how we can even more successfully leverage our readers’ passion for our work.
- At the same time, an ability to identify the problems that STAT readers, subscribers, clients, advertisers, etc. are trying to solve and the technical acumen to understand the merits of approaches for solving them.
- The ability to propose solutions that support the changing needs of the business.
- A highly analytical and structured thinking process with an excellent ability to put complex ideas into clear frameworks and to use data to drive strategic objectives and priorities, and the ability to broadly communicate these objectives and priorities across multiple different constituencies
- A deep knowledge of or interest in the media industry, and a passion for further building a company that has become a model for creating a sustainable news business.
- The successful candidate will be smart, candid, direct and non political, with a highly developed sense of ethics, energy, confidence, creativity, and ambition.
- Team-oriented with highly developed interpersonal skills, equally adept as a listener, collaborator, influencer and negotiator.
- Understands the benefits of working collaboratively across all teams.
- Agile and willing to adapt to change, and able to re-prioritize tasks
- Understands the value of analytics and data driven decision making, both in terms of prioritizing projects, and specific product ideas and features
- Ability to train and empower stakeholders with new software products solutions
- Ability to manage outside vendors in all phases of product development - market research, scoping, design, build, and testing.
- BA/BS degree
- 7+ years of relevant experience leading product strategy and execution
- Experience leading a team of product managers, and working across design and engineering
- Experience at a digital news/media organization (preferred, not required)
- Experience with a subscription product
- Experience with digital advertising products and solutions
- Experience in health, medicine or life sciences (preferred, not required)
- Experience working with WordPress (preferred) or another CMS (required)
- Demonstrated experience leading a product team shipping innovative and custom products preferably at a digital first news organization
- Experience with HubSpot (preferred) or other similar CRM (required)
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
The minimum salary for this position is $100,000. We offer a competitive benefits package, including health insurance, a 401k plan, generous vacation, parental leave, and more. We also provide Care.com back-up care and have numerous wellness offerings, including free access to HeadSpace for all full time employees.
While we’d prefer you to be based in Boston, we also are considering remote candidates who would be willing to spend time at HQ once Covid recedes. This position will start as a remote position, but, following the office’s 2022 reopening plan, will be located in the Boston headquarters.
The STAT office is located in downtown Boston, minutes away from Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market, and is easily accessible by MBTA and commuter rail lines. We have colleagues in the organization that come into the office on a regular basis and colleagues that are based in various cities throughout the U.S.
We know that there are strong candidates who may not fit precisely into what we’ve described above or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
In your resume and/or cover letter, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example - she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc.).
STAT is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to create a culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates all voices. A staff that reflects the world around us makes for better — and more accurate — journalis
BGMP will require that all employees, including temporary employees, co-ops, and interns, regardless of work location, provide the company Human Resources team with proof of vaccination status through the secure system that will be provided for these purposes. For those who are not vaccinated for company-approved and verified medical and/or religious reasons, that same system will also allow you to upload required weekly COVID test results. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment
Boston Globe Media Partners is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media Partners is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.