Data Reporters (2)
We are seeking a data reporter who will thrive on reporting and using data in a variety of ways to create, shape, and strengthen our journalism. They will be part of a new data reporting team within the Globe newsroom, tasked with carrying out ambitious data-centric projects and stories.
They should be experienced in journalistic hunting and gathering: scraping sites, mining and building databases, filing FOIAs, and battling secretive public agencies. This person will also have a track record of analyzing such data, and preparing and producing compelling visuals or interactives that are accessible and understandable.
They should have strong editorial judgment, journalistic rigor, and impeccable ethics. We want a self-starter and a collegial teammate, someone who can work independently as well as across the newsroom with those who are less conversant in the data arena.
This person will be responsible for pitching, reporting, and producing their own story ideas, and delivering a broad range of data-centric stories of interest to a New England audience. This can range from blogs and fact checks to enterprise stories and marquee investigative projects.
- Will work to explore, clean and analyze datasets, document their code and processes, and communicate statistics and analyses to reporters, editors and the audience
- Will develop original ideas for stories and visualizations
- Write and produce data-driven stories and analysis. Accuracy, clarity, and accessibility are paramount
- At least 5 years journalism experience
- Experience with a programming-driven data analysis workflow is preferred, such as experience with R, Python, or SQL
- Familiarity with methods of acquiring data such as coding and scraping, and experience cleaning and analyzing datasets
- Past experience with in-depth enterprise and investigative work is preferred
- Adept in social media and ways to engage readers
- Team player who is willing to work closely and collaboratively
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
The BGMP office is located in downtown Boston, near Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market, and is easily accessible by MBTA and commuter rail lines. This position is based in Boston, and candidates should be based in the area or willing to move.
This position is a union position covered by a collective bargaining agreement with the Boston Newspaper Guild.
At Boston Globe Media, our mission is to empower, connect, and convene our communities with independent, trusted journalism and storytelling. We know a critical part to achieve this is by having a workforce that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive - like the communities we serve. Boston Globe Media is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes candidates and colleagues of all backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and skills.