Higher Education Reporter
- Boston, MA
- Full Time
- Mid Level
The Boston Globe is hiring a reporter to cover higher education in Boston and the greater New England region. For a reporter eager to be on the front page and helping to drive the conversation on higher education, a better beat is hard to come by. Our region boasts some of the most elite institutions in the country, which frequently makes it ground zero for the biggest national trends in higher education. At the same time, the state is rich with public institutions and community colleges that serve a significant share of local residents, many with lesser means, who cannot be ignored. There could not be a better time to be covering higher ed in New England. The pandemic has upended this industry and shifting demographics promise only more upheaval in the coming decade. And the debates that bubble up on college campuses around race, class, equity and free speech, often have wider societal implications. This beat is sprawling and nationally competitive, with a need for a reporter who can break news and chase stories on deadline, but also pitch and deliver ambitious, thoughtful, and provocative enterprise. Data and statistics are easy to come by in the education world, but they are incomplete without human stories that illuminate the faces behind the trends. The selected reporter should expect to write a mix of spot news, accountability stories, and ambitious enterprise.
The ideal candidate is a versatile and fearless reporter with a high metabolism, someone who can write with depth, creativity, and flair. A few other qualities that would make you a good fit for this position:
- You’re creative and enterprising. You see fresh angles to storylines everywhere.
- You’re a master at cultivating sources. You don’t get beaten by the competition.
- You can handle some of the most important stories the Globe covers.
- You can write quickly and nimbly on deadline.
- You’re a collaborative reporter who likes being part of a team.
- At least 3-5 years experience as a journalist at a major market or publication
- Ability to write clean, compelling copy on deadline
- A skilled writer who can elevate good stories into great ones
- Adaptable and enterprising
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
- A team player who thrives in a group setting
This position will start as a remote position but, following the office’s 2022 reopening plan, will be located in the Boston headquarters.
BGMP will require that all employees, including temporary employees, co-ops, and interns, regardless of work location, provide the company Human Resources team with proof of vaccination status through the secure system that will be provided for these purposes. For those who are not vaccinated for company-approved and verified medical and/or religious reasons, that same system will also allow you to upload required weekly COVID test results. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment
Boston Globe Media is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.