Deputy Metro Editor
The Boston Globe is hiring a deputy metro editor, a pivotal leadership role helping oversee metro coverage for New England’s largest newsroom.
The deputy editor will be the second-in-command for the Globe’s largest and most widely read department, assisting the Deputy Managing Editor for local news in crafting a sophisticated and engaging report for Greater Boston and its nearly 5 million residents. Additionally, the editor will help apply a watchdog lens to our coverage by producing in-depth features, groundbreaking investigations, and sterling beat coverage that holds the region’s powerful accountable and reflects the diversity of the region. The editor will also have a superior touch with copy and reliably deliver stories with nuance, sensitivity, creativity, and humor.
The deputy metro editor will be an authoritative presence throughout the department on matters of ethics, style, tone, and fairness, and a deft manager capable of hands-on direction of multiple journalists and rapidly shifting storylines simultaneously. Finally, the editor will have an eye for talent and will assist in cultivating a world class roster of reporters and assistant editors.
This is a vital leadership position within the Globe newsroom as we continue to grow readership and engage our more than 220,000 digital subscribers. The job will be based in the Globe’s downtown Boston headquarters.
- An excellent journalist who can think creatively about how we approach stories, beats, and coverage.
- A skilled wordsmith who consistently shapes copy and elevates stories that can be the cornerstone of daily coverage.
- An innovative thinker who spots original angles in the news and has a knack for finding hidden gems that turn into captivating stories.
- A creative storyteller who is platform-agnostic.
- A newshound who thrives on breaking stories and can own a competitive, ongoing news cycle.
- An empathetic leader who encourages and nurtures reporters and gets the best out of a wide array of journalists.
- Someone who believes deeply in the Globe’s commitment to diversity and inclusiveness, both in our coverage and the workplace.
- A savvy editor comfortable with user analytics and working in a fast-paced digital publishing environment.
- An organized manager who keeps budgets updated and stories on deadline.
- At least 7 years experience covering local news as a reporter and editor.
- At least 2 years management experience, including directing beat coverage and overseeing reporters.
- Proven experience managing diverse digital teams to successful results.
- Comfortable with change and working within a dynamic team environmen
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
The BGMP office is located in downtown Boston, near Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market, and is easily accessible by MBTA and commuter rail lines. This position is based in Boston, and candidates should be based in the area or willing to move.
At Boston Globe Media, our mission is to empower, connect, and convene our communities with independent, trusted journalism and storytelling. We know a critical part to achieve this is by having a workforce that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive - like the communities we serve. Boston Globe Media is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes candidates and colleagues of all backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and skills.