Editorial News Print Designer
The Boston Globe is hiring an Editorial News Print Designer to take the lead on some of our most high-profile and distinctive newspaper journalism.
The candidate will be an endlessly creative news designer, able to seamlessly blend headlines, photos, graphics, and other visuals to produce striking news presentations that carry both the front page of our newspaper and the first draft of history.
They will also manage special sections, major projects, and other vital layouts for the paper, artfully crafting compelling displays that distinguish our pages and coverage. Beyond design, the individual should be comfortable using data and fashioning infographics to help tell stories.
The designer will occupy a central position in our newsroom, working closely with a wide array of senior leaders, editors, reporters, copy editors, and photographers. They should have advanced skills in Adobe InDesign and PhotoShop, prior daily newspaper design experience, and be comfortable working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
This is a full-time position located in Boston.
- Consistently deliver stunning presentations for a variety of newsroom projects and daily front pages.
- Form a deep connection with readers by telling stories through graphics, maps, data visualization, and other creative forms.
- Be a constant source of ideas for our presentations, regularly pushing the envelope for what we’re able to accomplish visually.
- Offer relevant, meaningful contributions in team meetings and brainstorms.
- Identify, articulate, and execute on the creative needs for key initiatives and stakeholders.
- Reprioritize work as needed based on shifting deadlines.
- Independently manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Be detail-oriented, solution-oriented, and think on your feet.
- Minimum of three years’ working in a print news/feature designer role.
- Strong design experience with a good command of typography, illustration, and Web design.
- Fluency in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop; working knowledge of Methode (CMS) a plus.
- Comfortable working with infographics and data.
- Some experience working with freelance illustrators and/or in the creation of illustrations.
- Comfortable working individually or as part of a team on deadline; ability to balance short-term and long-term projects.
- Eager to learn new skills and adapt quickly to newsroom needs.
- Experience or knowledge in one or several of these skills: copywriting, html, CSS, programming, illustration, infographics, animation.
- An understanding of current trends in design, tech, and media.
- Strong ability to multi-task and juggle distinct projects.
- Keen instincts for visual communication and storytelling.
- Desire to be a member of a team and build relationships across a matrixed organization.
- Excellent communication skills.
- A commitment to creating an inclusive work environment.
To apply, please include your resume and links to up to five clips that showcase your reporting attached to your resume or following a cover letter.
We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities in news to apply.
This position is a union position covered by a collective bargaining agreement with the Boston Newspaper Guild.
BGMP will require that all employees, including temporary employees, co-ops, and interns, regardless of work location, provide the company Human Resources team with proof of vaccination status through the secure system that will be provided for these purposes. For those who are not vaccinated for company-approved and verified medical and/or religious reasons, that same system will also allow you to upload required weekly COVID test results. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment
Boston Globe Media Partners is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media Partners is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.