Social Media Editor, Opinion
The Boston Globe’s Opinion section is hiring an editor to manage its social media channels and off-platform publishing, part of a company-wide push to place audience and community at the center of the Globe’s journalism.
This editor should be a savvy digital journalist who intuitively understands how to convey opinion and news natively over social media. They should be capable of writing posts in sharp, concise language, and deftly employ photos, graphics, videos, gifs, and other visuals to communicate with users. This will entail summarizing our editorials, columns, op-eds, Sunday Ideas essays and letters — whether from the left, right or center — in succinct, accurate, and compelling ways. The goal will be to amplify our impact and ensure that our writers’ distinctive arguments stand out in a crowded sea of feeds.
We will also look to this editor to unlock the full potential of these platforms, going beyond straightforward posts to experiment with spaces, reels, moments, groups, and other publishing products. They will be counted on to utilize audience targeting and other advanced tools to connect with high-interest readers, build community, engage readers and foster conversation.
This editor will report to the editorial page editor, but also be part of a newly imagined audience team in the Globe newsroom. They will also liaise closely with partners on our marketing team and other departments on a wide range of initiatives, to ensure consistency in our approach and mission.
- Run the social media accounts for Globe Opinion and its Sunday Ideas section, writing or editing daily posts for an array of content.
- Experiment with new social media forms and with new forms of storytelling that include not just text, but also audio, video, graphics and other visuals.
- Work with our columnists and editorial writers to broaden their audience and build loyalty among their readers.
- Apply audience engagement tools to expand our reach and impact; monitor analytics; and help identify opportunities for growth and engagement.
- Assist in developing audience plans for our signature projects.
- Work closely with our audience engagement lead in implementing longer-term strategy for growing Opinion’s readership.
- At least 2-4 years of experience as a journalist
- Previous experience running social media accounts for a large brand or publication
- Excellent at writing social media copy and crafting a voice off-platform
- Comfortable representing the Globe on official accounts
- Skilled at multitasking and juggling several fast-moving storylines at once
- A team player who thrives working in a group setting
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
This position is a union position covered by a collective bargaining agreement with the Boston Newspaper Guild
We require that all BGMP employees (including temporary employees, co-ops, interns, and independent contractors) be vaccinated from COVID-19, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise. All BGMP employees, regardless of vaccination status or work location, must provide proof of vaccination status as instructed by the employee's designated Human Resources contact. Employees may request a reasonable accommodation or other exemption from this policy by contacting their designated Human Resources contact. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.
Boston Globe Media Partners is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media Partners is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.