Great Divide Education Reporter
The Boston Globe is seeking an experienced journalist for its Great Divide K-12 education enterprise team. We’re looking for a smart and aggressive reporter who collaborates well on a team covering the 49,000-student Boston Public Schools, surrounding districts, the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education and broader education issues.
About the Globe’s Great Divide team:
The Great Divide is a groundbreaking education unit within The Boston Globe newsroom examining issues of race, class, and opportunities in public education. Since its inception in 2019, this growing, dynamic team of seven journalists has consistently produced hard-hitting, award-winning journalism for Boston and its surrounding communities. Supported in part by The Barr Foundation, The Great Divide is also seen as a national model for the future of education reporting. We're thriving, growing, and our best days are still ahead.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Has a track record of producing accountability stories that have led to discernable change and shaped reforms.
- Ideally has knowledge of the local/national education landscape.
- Will pivot between breaking education news and short and longer-term enterprise projects that could take weeks or months to execute.
- Writes clean, compelling copy on deadline.
- Has a great work ethic and positive attitude.
- Is well-sourced or knows how to build a source network quickly.
- Is creative, enterprising and curious. You see fresh angles to storylines everywhere and you’re a newshound who still gets a rush when you beat the competition.
- Will annually participate in a handful of virtual or in-person events or forums, which promote our stories, engage the community, and expand the audience for our journalism.
- At least 5 years of experience in journalism
- Spanish-language proficiency strongly preferred
- Experience working for a daily news organization preferred
- Past experience with in-depth enterprise and investigative work is preferred
- Experience writing about education is preferred
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
- Adept in social media to engage with readers and promote our education coverage
- A commitment to creating an inclusive work environment and embracing the Globe’s priorities regarding diversity and inclusion in the workplace and in our coverage
- Team player who is willing to work closely and collaboratively with other members of the Great Divide team.
- Experienced in reporting and writing for digital deadlines and comfortable with new forms of storytelling.
This position is a union position covered by a collective bargaining agreement with the Boston Newspaper Guild.
We require that all BGMP employees (including temporary employees, co-ops, interns, and independent contractors) be vaccinated from COVID-19, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise. All BGMP employees, regardless of vaccination status or work location, must provide proof of vaccination status as instructed by the employee's designated Human Resources contact. Employees may request a reasonable accommodation or other exemption from this policy by contacting their designated Human Resources contact. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.
Boston Globe Media Partners is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media Partners is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.