Express Reporter, Rhode Island
The Boston Globe is hiring an express reporter to focus on Rhode Island, a critical part of our regional expansion that will deliver breaking news and accountability journalism to the Ocean State.
Our express reporters are some of the most-read and most versatile journalists at the Globe. They write fast and write well, covering a wide range of in-the-moment topics that often serve as the foundation of daily coverage. They strike a conversational, accessible tone that engages readers, and they utilize myriad story formats to distill complex subjects into readable articles.
The ideal candidate should possess a high metabolism and strong initiative -- the hardest part of the day should be deciding which of your many ideas you don’t have the time to pursue. The express reporter should also be a newshound who thrives in breaking situations. They are able to confirm and publish stories quickly online and then update them throughout the day, taking feeds from other reporters and pushing a story continuously forward.
The reporter will work closely with both the Globe's main Boston office and the Rhode Island bureau in Providence.
A few other qualities that would make you a good fit for this position:
- You’re creative and enterprising. You see fresh angles to storylines everywhere, you’re a master at cultivating sources and sniffing out leads, and you get a rush when you beat the competition.
- You know how to wade through the murky waters of social media, mining for stories or sources that haven’t been unearthed yet.
- You can handle the most important, sensitive stories we cover here at the Globe, but you’re also capable of spinning an incredulous yarn or finding the everyday humor in a quirky character or event.
- You’re familiar with digital publishing, analytics, and other characteristics of a modern newsroom.
- You’re cool under the tightest deadlines, but you also know when not to rush a story, because taking an extra day can make the difference between a good story and a great one.
- Finally, you’re a collaborative reporter who likes being part of a team.
- At least 3-5 years experience as a journalist at a major market or publication
- Ability to write clean, compelling copy on deadline
- A skilled writer who can elevate good stories into great ones
- Be adaptable and enterprising, someone who brings their own ideas to the table
- A team player who thrives in a group setting
- Digital savvy and a familiarity with audience analytics
- Has a willingness to adapt, be audience focused with a curious mindset and committed to creating an inclusive work environment
We require that all BGMP employees (including temporary employees, co-ops, interns, and independent contractors) be vaccinated from COVID-19, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise. All BGMP employees, regardless of vaccination status or work location, must provide proof of vaccination status as instructed by the employee's designated Human Resources contact. Employees may request a reasonable accommodation or other exemption from this policy by contacting their designated Human Resources contact. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.
Boston Globe Media Partners is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media Partners is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.