Boston.com - Staff Writer, Nights
Boston.com is one of the most-read digital media outlets in the region. Each month, our stories reach millions of people, and we’re seeking to expand our coverage by adding a nighttime staff writer to our team.
The ideal candidate is a highly collaborative, creative, versatile journalist who covers the topics and stories that our readers care about on any given day, whether an election or a snowstorm or a viral Boston moment.
This staff writer will primarily achieve results through consistently reporting and writing stories that fit our mission: What Boston really cares about right now.
- Craft timely, well-researched pitches, and work on assignments with equal enthusiasm. Cover a range of stories by reporting and/or aggregating credible sources, separating fact from fiction. Write copy with meticulous attention to detail.
- Primarily focus on creating content that serves our region. Utilize user data as the main — but not only — indicator of success, and distill findings into instinct and action.
- Consistently voice new ideas and solutions that help to improve our coverage. Actively contribute to brainstorms and discussions that impact the site’s offering.
- Experiment with, adapt to, and suggest digital storytelling approaches, formats, and tools that better serve our audience and team.
- 2-4 years spent reporting and writing for a media outlet, preferably covering the region.
- A track record of successful, audience-focused work.
- A progressive understanding of the ways that readers engage with content on social, search, and mobile platforms.
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
The night team will work from 4 p.m. to midnight Sunday through Thursday on a hybrid schedule. On Tuesdays and Wednesdays, the night team works from the BGMP offices in Boston, with the option of working remotely on Sundays, Mondays, and Thursdays.
This position is a union position covered by a collective bargaining agreement with the Boston Newspaper Guild
At Boston Globe Media, our mission is to empower, connect, and convene our communities with independent, trusted journalism and storytelling. We know a critical part to achieve this is by having a workforce that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive - like the communities we serve. Boston Globe Media is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes candidates and colleagues of all backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and skills.