Sports Digital Producer
The Boston Globe seeks a talented journalist to join the Sports department as a web producer. This position will be part of a team focused on supporting the Globe’s digital growth on- and off-platform.
Globe sports producers write quick-turn breaking news and occasionally pitch in on coverage. They know how to present a story online in a way that will keep readers engaged, and how to use social media to amplify the Globe’s work. They know how to curate, they determine what stories deserve priority, and are interested in growing their skills to adapt to industry trends. An eye for compelling stories and strong news judgment are essential.
Familiarity and interest in analytics, live coverage, audience engagement, social media, SEO, or newsletters are a plus.
- Write for all of the Globe’s platforms
- Enhance staff-written content with photos, videos, links, and other multimedia, with an eye on viewership and engagement
- Write compelling web headlines and use SEO tools to optimize story visibility
- Contribute to and execute social strategy
- Support the Globe’s newsletter and email suite
- Use analytics to determine story performance and make recommendations for how to better amplify the Globe’s work
- Assist on live coverage during games and other events on the sports calendar
- A web-focused journalist
- 2-4 years professional experience
- Comprehensive knowledge of sports on all levels, and solid news judgment
- The ability to write well and write quickly
- The ability to learn new technologies and tools quickly
- An understanding of the ways younger generations engage with content on all platforms, and an interest in growing new audiences
- Someone who believes in the importance of digital expertise and is eager to contribute to a successful team
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
This position is based in the Boston area. Some in-office work will be required, but there will be flexibility. This position will include nights and weekend work.
The position will pay between $60,000 and $65,000.
Even if you are not sure if you fit all of the qualifications, please consider applying. The Globe is committed to attracting candidates with diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
This position is a union position covered by a collective bargaining agreement with the Boston Newspaper Guild
We require that all BGMP employees (including temporary employees, co-ops, interns, and independent contractors) be vaccinated from COVID-19, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise. All BGMP employees, regardless of vaccination status or work location, must provide proof of vaccination status as instructed by the employee's designated Human Resources contact. Employees may request a reasonable accommodation or other exemption from this policy by contacting their designated Human Resources contact. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.
Boston Globe Media Partners is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media Partners is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.