Feature Print Designer
- Boston, MA
- Full Time
- Mid Level
The Boston Globe is hiring an Editorial Print Designer to work with an award-winning team of journalists and developers. We need a versatile, creative, and fast team player who enjoys working on a diverse array of stories and sections. You will work with reporters, editors, photographers and developers to tell visual stories for one of the most engaged metro audiences in the country.
Great skills in Adobe InDesign and PhotoShop are required. A bachelor's degree in journalism or a related field, plus daily newspaper design experience, is preferred. You'll work closely with editors to create visually appealing and smart-reading pages and special sections. Deadlines are strictly adhered to and efficient page production is a must. Ability to produce charts, graphs, maps for digital and print production a plus. This is a full-time position.
- Build stunning presentations for a variety of newsroom projects and weekly sections
- Tell stories through graphics, maps, data visualization, and other creative forms of storytelling
- Evaluate stories and reporter ideas for visual and presentation possibilities
- Contribute relevant, interesting ideas in team meetings and brainstorms
- Manage projects, and help stakeholders to identify and articulate creative needs
- Reprioritize work as needed based on deadlines
- Manage your time while working on multiple projects
- Be detail-oriented, solution-oriented, and think on your feet
- Minimum of two years’ working in a print news/feature designer role
- Strong design experience with a good command of typography, illustration and web design
- Fluency in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop; working knowledge of Methode (CMS) a plus
- Comfort working with infographics
- Some experience working with freelance illustrators and/or in the creation of illustrations
- Comfort working individually as well as multiple teams on deadline and ability to balance short-term and long-term projects
- Desire to learn new skills and adapt quickly to newsroom needs
- Experience or knowledge in one or several of these: copywriting, html, CSS, programming, illustration, infographics, animation
- An interest in, and understanding of current trends in design, tech & media
- Strong ability to multi-task and move between distinct projects
- Superior communications skills
- Keen instincts for visual communication and storytelling
- Ability to work autonomously in a fast-paced environment
- Effectiveness as a team member and at relationship building
- Excellent communication skills
- Curiosity, intelligence, enthusiasm, motivation and a “growth mindset"
- Being able to meet deadlines and prioritize work effectively
- Has a willingness to adapt, be audience focused with a curious mindset and committed to creating an inclusive work environment
What you should send us:
- A portfolio of your strongest work
We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities in news to apply.
BGMP will require that all employees, including temporary employees, co-ops, and interns, regardless of work location, provide the company Human Resources team with proof of vaccination status through the secure system that will be provided for these purposes. For those who are not vaccinated for company-approved and verified medical and/or religious reasons, that same system will also allow you to upload required weekly COVID test results. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment
Boston Globe Media is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.