Health and Medicine Team Reporter
The Boston Globe is looking for a talented reporter to join an expanded medical-biotech team covering one of the world’s most vibrant and respected healthcare communities.
Medical news in Boston often has national or even international repercussions, and the Globe needs a reporter to cover the science, the policy, and the context of medical developments while centering the people most affected by them.
The reporter will be expected to generate a steady stream of medical stories including breaking dailies, enterprise, and accountability stories, some developed over longer periods of time.
A few other qualities that would make you a good fit for this position:
- Either experience or interest in covering health and medicine.
- You’re well-sourced, or know how to build a source network quickly.
- You’re creative, enterprising and curious. You see fresh angles to storylines everywhere and you’re a newshound who still gets a rush when you beat the competition.
- You can handle the most important, sensitive stories we cover here at the Globe, but you’re also not beyond rolling up your sleeves and spinning a lighthearted yarn.
- You’re cool under the tightest of deadlines.
- You’re a collaborative reporter who likes being part of a high-performing team.
- 3+ years journalism experience preferred.
- Experience working for a daily news organization preferred.
- Strong reporting and writing skills and the ability to grasp the complexities of medical science and health care.
- Ability to generate story ideas.
- Willingness to adapt and to be audience-focused.
- A commitment to creating an inclusive work environment and embracing the Globe’s priorities regarding diversity and inclusion in the workplace and in our coverage.
This position is a union position covered by a collective bargaining agreement with the Boston Newspaper Guild
We require that all BGMP employees (including temporary employees, co-ops, interns, and independent contractors) be vaccinated from COVID-19, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise. All BGMP employees, regardless of vaccination status or work location, must provide proof of vaccination status as instructed by the employee's designated Human Resources contact. Employees may request a reasonable accommodation or other exemption from this policy by contacting their designated Human Resources contact. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.
Boston Globe Media Partners is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media Partners is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.