Business Reporter, Technology & Innovation
The Boston Globe’s business department is hiring a reporter to cover technology and innovation. We’re looking for someone with a wealth of energy and ideas who can capture the vibrancy and essence of one of the region’s most pivotal sectors. The Globe has ramped up its tech coverage in the past two years with strong results, and we see even more opportunity now.
Massachusetts has a long history of leadership in technology, from the rise of the computer industry and the Route 128 corridor to the birth of venture capital, startup incubators, and the likes of Wayfair, HubSpot, and Toast. With tech areas like A.I. and crypto going mainstream, we need a reporter who not only understands how to cover this industry, but can portray our region’s special relationship with innovation and how it helps define our future.
The reporter needs to be well-versed in both big tech and startup culture, someone who can unearth stories that industry experts and everyday readers alike will find compelling. They should possess a high metabolism and be a source-building machine, regularly publishing scoops and breaking news ahead of the competition. Furthermore, the reporter should be able to think big. We need someone who can authoritatively describe the broader trends emerging in our landscape and why they matter.
- Covering a technology or innovation beat. You should be well-sourced and understand how this complicated landscape works.
- You’re creative and enterprising. You see fresh angles to storylines everywhere and you’re a newshound who still gets a rush when you beat the competition.
- You’re cool under the tightest deadlines, but you also know when not to rush a story, because taking an extra day can make the difference between a good story and a great one. You’re not afraid of analytics, but you’re also not defined by them, and you always trust your instincts on a good story.
- Knowledge of sectors such as artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, social media, financial tech, crypto, and venture capital is a plus.
- You’re a collaborative reporter who likes being part of a high-performing team.
- 3+ years journalism experience, preferably including at least two years of technology/innovation beat reporting
- Ability to write clean, compelling copy on deadline.
- A skilled reporter and writer who can elevate good stories into great ones
- Be adaptable and enterprising, someone who brings their own ideas to the table.
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
This reporter will be based in Boston.
This position is a union position covered by a collective bargaining agreement with the Boston Newspaper Guild
We require that all BGM employees (including temporary employees, co-ops, interns, and independent contractors) be vaccinated from COVID-19, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise. All BGM employees, regardless of vaccination status or work location, must provide proof of vaccination status as instructed by the employee's designated Human Resources contact. Employees may request a reasonable accommodation or other exemption from this policy by contacting their designated Human Resources contact. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.
At Boston Globe Media, our mission is to empower, connect, and convene our communities with independent, trusted journalism and storytelling. We know a critical part to achieve this is by having a workforce that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive - like the communities we serve. Boston Globe Media is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes candidates and colleagues of all backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and skills.