Managing Editor, Local News
The Boston Globe is hiring a Managing Editor (Local News) to lead its business, metro, Express Desk, and RI/New Hampshire reporting teams. The Boston Globe is seeking a leader who excels at all aspects of story development, from breaking news to mid-range enterprise to off-the-news investigations. This leader should be able to help teams conceive of sophisticated coverage and develop stories that are fresh and unique to the regional audience. They will have a commitment to working collaboratively across the newsroom with partners in audio, visual, and data leaders. They will be dedicated to improving the diversity of the team, as well as employing audience strategies based on real-time metrics data and strategic analysis.
- Collaborate with the Editor-In-Chief and other Managing Editors to determine daily, weekly, and ongoing coverage strategies across multiple platforms.
- Effectively recruit, hire, and train for a broad range of skill sets.
- Demonstrate personal leadership skills with an emphasis on respectful inclusion while driving for excellence
- Lead and deliver transformational edits as needed on major initiatives.
- Plan and approve assignments for writers and editors.
- Organize staffing schedules to meet the needs of the news cycles.
- Enforce deadlines on stories from the quick turn to the long-range.
- Adhere to best practices around audience analytics and SEO.
- Any other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
- At least 5-8 years experience in a senior-level position leading large teams to successful results
- Top-notch storytelling experience across a variety of mediums, and a proven track record of producing journalism that affects change.
- Skilled manager of people who can influence a positive, supportive culture.
- A collaborative leader capable of working across a matrixed organization.
- Experience managing a budget, conducting timely performance reviews, and hiring.
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment.
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments, and multi-task in a high-pressure environment.
- Ability to plan for short- and long-term news coverage.
- Strong journalistic skills and news judgment
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
We require that all BGM employees (including temporary employees, co-ops, interns, and independent contractors) be vaccinated from COVID-19, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise. All BGM employees, regardless of vaccination status or work location, must provide proof of vaccination status as instructed by the employee's designated Human Resources contact. Employees may request a reasonable accommodation or other exemption from this policy by contacting their designated Human Resources contact. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.
At Boston Globe Media, our mission is to empower, connect, and convene our communities with independent, trusted journalism and storytelling. We know a critical part to achieve this is by having a workforce that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive - like the communities we serve. Boston Globe Media is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes candidates and colleagues of all backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and skills.