Social Media Editors
The Boston Globe is hiring editors for its social media channels and off-platform publishing, part of an ongoing, company-wide push to place audience and community at the center of everything we do.
The editors should be savvy digital journalists who intuitively understand how to convey news natively over social media, through search and SEO, and other platforms. They will be capable of writing posts in sharp, concise language, and deftly employ photos, graphics, videos, gifs and other visuals to communicate with users.
Additionally, the editors will succinctly summarize our reporting to amplify Globe stories and find the nuggets of information that will stand out in a crowded sea of feeds. They will also excel at communicating news and crafting journalism that can stand alone in the social media space, informing and interacting with readers on their platforms of choice.
Furthermore, the editors should be able to unlock the full potential of these platforms. They will go beyond mere posts and experiment with spaces, reels, moments, groups, and other publishing products. They will utilize audience targeting and other advanced tools to connect with high-interest readers. And they should be able to leverage our accounts to build community and foster two-way conversation.
These editors will be part of a newly imagined audience team in the Globe newsroom, working broadly across all departments to amplify our presence and put our readers at the center of everything we do. They will also liaise closely with partners on our marketing team and other departments on a wide range of initiatives, ensuring consistency in our approach and mission.
- Oversee and execute a social media strategy to amplify our journalism and deepen engagements with online communities.
- Work broadly across the newsroom with journalists in all departments, helping to elevate their reporting and connect them directly to readers.
- Be active participants in posting and managing existing social media accounts, as well as experiment with new ones.
- Explore opportunities with new tools, audience targeting, and new forms of storytelling.
- Liaise with partners outside the newsroom on a wide range of initiatives.
- Monitor analytics and help identify KPIs for growth and engagement.
- Help cultivate a team atmosphere and culture around our audience and community.
- At least 2-5 years of experience as a journalist
- Previous experience running social media accounts for a large brand or publication
- Excellent at writing social media copy and crafting a voice off-platform
- Comfortable representing a publication on official accounts
- Skilled at multitasking and juggling multiple, fast-moving storylines at once
- Experience with video, particularly on social media platforms
- A team player who thrives working in a group setting
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
This position is a union position covered by a collective bargaining agreement with the Boston Newspaper Guild
We require that all BGMP employees (including temporary employees, co-ops, interns, and independent contractors) be vaccinated from COVID-19, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise. All BGMP employees, regardless of vaccination status or work location, must provide proof of vaccination status as instructed by the employee's designated Human Resources contact. Employees may request a reasonable accommodation or other exemption from this policy by contacting their designated Human Resources contact. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.
Boston Globe Media Partners is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media Partners is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.