Boston.com - Community Writer
Boston.com is one of the most-read digital media outlets in the region. Each month, our stories reach millions of people, and we’re seeking to expand our coverage by adding a Community Writer to the newsroom.
The Community Writer will focus on the storylines and topics of greatest interest to Bostonians. The ideal candidate is a collaborative, versatile journalist whose work has created meaningful engagement and discussion in the city’s digital sphere. This writer will be responsible for pitching and writing user-generated content, and helping to monitor and contribute to reader engagement across our site, social channels, and newsletters.
The position is open to a journalist who wants to make an immediate impact in the local media landscape. Candidates with an entrepreneurial, data-driven mindset and a desire and/or experience covering communities underrepresented in media are highly encouraged to apply.
- Pitch and write user-generated content and guides based on reporting and other insights gleaned from people in the city and region.
- Conduct regular reader opinion polls and surveys. Use results to interpret data, identify trends, and quickly write follow-ups.
- Pitch, report, and write stories on topics of utmost importance and interest to Bostonians, and attach a Community engagement angle to each one. Focus areas will likely include working, living, and spending leisure time in the city and region.
- Consistently voice new ideas and solutions that help improve our coverage. Actively contribute to brainstorms and discussions that impact the site’s offering.
- Solid editorial judgment and the ability to write quickly and cleanly.
- Experience working on data projects in a newsroom.
- A track record of successful, audience-focused work.
- A progressive understanding of the ways that readers engage with content on social, search, and mobile platforms.
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field.
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
This position is a union position covered by a collective bargaining agreement with the Boston Newspaper Guild.
We require that all BGMP employees (including temporary employees, co-ops, interns, and independent contractors) be vaccinated from COVID-19, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise. All BGMP employees, regardless of vaccination status or work location, must provide proof of vaccination status as instructed by the employee's designated Human Resources contact. Employees may request a reasonable accommodation or other exemption from this policy by contacting their designated Human Resources contact. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.
Boston Globe Media Partners is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media Partners is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.