Head of Audio
The Boston Globe is looking for an experienced journalist to lead the company’s budding audio program, a critical position that will shape and guide the audio offerings from New England’s largest newsroom.
The Head of Audio will define the Globe’s audio program, guide long-term strategy, manage producers, and lead daily operations. Throughout, they’ll seek to capitalize on the newsroom’s award-winning journalism, expand upon our current podcast portfolio, and push new boundaries of what we can accomplish in the audio space.
This is a management position that will oversee several audio producers and contractors; and, will report to both the Assistant Managing Editor of Projects and the Director of New Media. The job demands a spectrum of hands-on editorial leadership: This person should be comfortable editing tape and providing feedback to producers/reporters, as well as working with Globe leaders to envision and launch new audio initiatives.
This person will attend news meetings with an eye for enterprise stories and ear for audio potential. They should be entrepreneurial, enthusiastic, and nimble. They’ll vet ideas, guide story selection, shepherd scripts, and oversee production. They’ll be responsible for not only shaping and launching marquee longform podcasts, but also finding ways for us to respond to key moments in the news cycle with an audio offering.
- An innovative thinker with a strong understanding of the podcasting and audio world, someone who can spot opportunities and seize on them
- Storytelling chops, with a proven track record shaping narrative journalism and coaching reporters/producers
- An empathetic and flexible leader who enjoys working as part of a collaborative team as well as across departments
- Someone who believes deeply in the Globe’s commitment to diversity and inclusiveness, both in our coverage and the workplace
- A caring leader and willing mentor who can support and uplift others
- At least five years journalism experience, including a minimum of three years in broadcast/audio
- Management or other leadership experience. This person can be a veteran senior producer who is looking to take on a more expansive role.
- Digital audio editing experience and a deep understanding of audio production for news and information
- A passion for audio storytelling, sound news judgment, and a keen editorial sense.
- Collegial, calm under pressure, and a natural collaborator.
- A track record of leading multi-platform projects and partnerships, and can handle the intricacies of a multi-newsroom collaboration.
- A strong understanding of the podcasting industry, its platforms and distribution models.
- Be able to spot audience needs and act on them.
- Be able to collaborate closely with Globe staffers that specialize in analytics and audience engagement.
- Work with business-side colleagues that help negotiate and cement various partnership, production, and licensing deals.
- A track record of excellence in audio journalism
- A demonstrated ability to work quickly and accurately on tight deadlines
- A versatile manager who is also accomplished at crafting creative enterprise stories and tackling compelling longer-term projects
- Comfortable with change and working within a dynamic team environment
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
We require that all BGMP employees (including temporary employees, co-ops, interns, and independent contractors) be vaccinated from COVID-19, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise. All BGMP employees, regardless of vaccination status or work location, must provide proof of vaccination status as instructed by the employee's designated Human Resources contact. Employees may request a reasonable accommodation or other exemption from this policy by contacting their designated Human Resources contact. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.
Boston Globe Media Partners is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media Partners is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.