Boston.com - Night Editor
Boston.com is seeking a versatile digital editor with excellent judgment to lead its coverage of the city and region at nighttime. The site’s Night Editor is primarily responsible for leading a team of journalists tasked with serving and growing our audiences during a crucial timeframe. This editor will achieve results through prioritizing, assigning, and editing coverage that fits our mission: What Boston really cares about right now.
- Lead a dynamic team of journalists, driving their daily decisions and short- and long-term career growth. Contribute to sitewide efforts, including regularly collaborating with the broader editing team and other key departments.
- Approach every week with a well-rounded coverage plan, prioritizing the highest impact storylines across local news, sports, weather, and culture. Experiment regularly by running pitch sessions and brainstorms and then executing on new concepts.
- Contribute to growth and engagement goals by curating the homepage, optimizing content for search engines and social channels, and deploying push notifications and email alerts.
- Ensure Boston.com always reflects our mission and that all editorial decisions meet high journalistic and technical standards.
- 5+ years spent editing and managing journalists, preferably covering the region.
- A track record of successful, audience-focused work.
- A progressive understanding of the ways that readers engage with content on social, search, and mobile platforms.
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
The night team works from 4 p.m. to midnight from Sundays to Thursdays. This team is based in our downtown Boston office on a hybrid in-person and work-from-home schedule.
We require that all BGM employees (including temporary employees, co-ops, interns, and independent contractors) be vaccinated from COVID-19, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise. All BGM employees, regardless of vaccination status or work location, must provide proof of vaccination status as instructed by the employee's designated Human Resources contact. Employees may request a reasonable accommodation or other exemption from this policy by contacting their designated Human Resources contact. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.
At Boston Globe Media, our mission is to empower, connect, and convene our communities with independent, trusted journalism and storytelling. We know a critical part to achieve this is by having a workforce that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive - like the communities we serve. Boston Globe Media is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes candidates and colleagues of all backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and skills.