STAT - Human Resources Business Partner
Over the past seven years, STAT has emerged as the authoritative and trustworthy news media source on health, policy, medicine, and life sciences, and our all-star team of editors and reporters have won numerous journalism awards, including being named as a 2021 Pulitzer finalist. Given STAT’s explosive growth, Boston Globe Media Partners is for the first time looking for a dedicated, full-time human resources business partner who will play a critical role as the key HR STAT business liaison with BGMP. This role will provide a broad range of strategic HR support to achieve the business objectives, including talent acquisition, organizational development, employee relations, and employee engagement. The successful candidate has a demonstrated ability to collaborate and work across cultures with senior leaders and managers and staff members both at STAT and BGMP.
- Play a central role in facilitating hiring and smart management strategies for a fast-paced international news organization at a time of great competitiveness in the media industry.
- Be a steward of both the culture at STAT, which is evolving from start up to larger media company, and the larger BGMP umbrella.
- Understand the company’s business and strategy to proactively contribute to business decisions.
- Translate business strategy and needs into HR planning in order to best support the business. Cultivate and implement organizational structures and people strategies to improve individual and organizational performance as they are aligned with short-term and long-term goals.
- Lead organizational change by working with management to identify business needs and implement appropriate and proactive HR solutions.
- Identify gaps or needs in the culture, and being a go-to resource for individual employees across STAT.
- Partner with business leaders to cultivate diverse leadership, talent, and technical capability in the business.
- Coach and develop functional leaders.
- Drive succession planning processes for key talent and critical hiring needs.
- Provide group and one-on-one coaching with managers and employees to support leadership development, business decision-making, human resources management, and problem-solving capabilities.
- Identify potential employee relations issues, offer guidance, and provide strategic initiatives in order to promote a productive and engaged workforce.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Master’s in Human Resources, Business, or related is desirable.
- Over 10 years of demonstrated experience as a Human Resource Partner in complex organizations.
- Must be a creative, collaborative partner to managers and employees.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities at once and translate the needs of many stakeholders at once.
- Must be a systems-thinker who can understand how singular details affect the big picture.
- Successful candidates will have proven ability to consider multiple perspectives and use those insights to formulate alternatives/options.
- Candidates must be mission-driven and have a commitment to the work we do at BGMP.
- Solid business acumen with analytical/metrics capabilities.
- Experience in organization and leadership development.
- A track record making the organizations where she/he has worked better business environments with better business results due to direct day-to-day involvement in leading the people assets of the organization.
- Strong problem solving, organizational and interpersonal communication skills with a high degree of learning agility.
- Knowledge related to working in a Union environment.
- Credible and savvy businessperson who will be perceived as a trusted advisor and functional expert to senior management.
- Proactive and assertive professional who leads by example.
- Leads with humility and is able to engender trust and respect quickly with a reputation for their willingness and ability to roll-up sleeves to get things done.
- Vibrant, high-energy, and performance-driven individual who possesses the fortitude to address challenging scenarios.
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment.
This person will be based at STAT headquarters in Boston and will report to the Chief People Officer at Boston Globe Media. They will also receive regular guidance from the co-founder and executive editor of STAT.
We require that all BGMP employees (including temporary employees, co-ops, interns, and independent contractors) be vaccinated from COVID-19, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise. All BGMP employees, regardless of vaccination status or work location, must provide proof of vaccination status as instructed by the employee's designated Human Resources contact. Employees may request a reasonable accommodation or other exemption from this policy by contacting their designated Human Resources contact. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.
Boston Globe Media Partners is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media Partners is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.