Content Producer, Arts & Lifestyle
The Boston Globe is hiring a Web producer for its Arts & Lifestyle department. We’re looking for someone with a wealth of energy and ideas who wants to join the all-star team behind some of the most distinctive journalism we produce here at the Globe.
The producer will be responsible for managing the department’s presence on digital platforms. This will include writing and editing breaking news, feature stories, and explainers, as well as working with reporters and editors across the department to facilitate coverage. The editor should have a keen eye for audience engagement and be well-versed in how to use social media, newsletters, and other channels to reach readers. Additionally, the editor will be a touchstone for arts and lifestyle on a variety of newsroom-wide digital efforts, conducting training sessions and introducing new concepts to the department.
- Possesses expert news judgment and feels comfortable making major news decisions independently.
- Writes phenomenal headlines and has a knack for distilling complicated concepts into a handful of clear, crisp words.
- Is deeply knowledgeable and passionate about the arts, lifestyle, food, and culture.
- Has deep experience publishing to digital platforms, whether it’s your site’s homepage, social media accounts, newsletters, alerts, or another avenue through which readers travel.
- Is fluent in audience analytics -- not only how to interpret them, but also how to use them as a tool to make decisions.
- Thrives as part of a group setting, juggling multiple tasks at once and collaborating with your colleagues in a fast-paced environment.
- Shows creativity. You constantly think about unorthodox ways to tell stories and convey the news to people. You thrive being at the cutting edge of technology and journalism, and want to help push this industry into the future.
- At least 2-4 years of experience as a journalist
- Excellent headline writer
- Able to backread stories for errors and clarity
- Able to produce clean, accurate, informative copy quickly and on deadline
- Familiar with sourcing and journalistic standards
- Facility with using and learning new content management systems
- Skilled at multitasking and juggling multiple, fast-moving storylines at once
- Experienced with social media and other alternate platforms
- A team player who thrives working in a group setting
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
This position is a union position covered by a collective bargaining agreement with the Boston Newspaper Guild
We require that all BGM employees (including temporary employees, co-ops, interns, and independent contractors) be vaccinated from COVID-19, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise. All BGM employees, regardless of vaccination status or work location, must provide proof of vaccination status as instructed by the employee's designated Human Resources contact. Employees may request a reasonable accommodation or other exemption from this policy by contacting their designated Human Resources contact. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.
At Boston Globe Media, our mission is to empower, connect, and convene our communities with independent, trusted journalism and storytelling. We know a critical part to achieve this is by having a workforce that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive - like the communities we serve. Boston Globe Media is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes candidates and colleagues of all backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and skills.